Like Tree71Likes

Best bread available in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

I am pretty impressed with the pumpernickel Das Gute bakeries sell. They are almost exactly like Danish black bread and in my opinion better than the German pre packaged ones which I find a little too sour.

dear giant and Mat like this.

I quite like das gute

Mat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MsPoppins:
    I am pretty impressed with the pumpernickel Das Gute bakeries sell. They are almost exactly like Danish black bread and in my opinion better than the German pre packaged ones which I find a little too sour.
    Where would that be ? I have tried the shop in discovery Bay - that one has a freshly baked dark rye bread that is just wonderful.
    However, have tried other "Das Gute" outlets and not found that kind of bread.

I am ALWAYS on a bread hunt in Hong Kong so your reply is highly appreciated
    dear giant likes this.

Hongkongers really know their bread.

dear giant and cookie09 like this.

There's one pumpernickel outfit in quarry bay on hoi chak street. Also in north point close to java road there's a local bread shop (really very very local) and they make delicious sourdough breads, my German missus approves of it.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dear giant:
    While we're on the subject of bread, has anyone seen pumpernickel bread (loaves, pre-sliced, in normal pkg like regular bread) on sale anywhere?
    I've seen it in Great. MrMoving buys it sometimes.

We gave up scouring the place for decent bread years ago. It's expensive and hard to find (particularly if you live in the Gold Coast!). A bread maker, in the other hand, is relatively cheap and very easy to use and I get the bread warm in the mornings without having to leave the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    We gave up scouring the place for decent bread years ago. It's expensive and hard to find (particularly if you live in the Gold Coast!). A bread maker, in the other hand, is relatively cheap and very easy to use and I get the bread warm in the mornings without having to leave the boat.
    Have you found a source of good and cheap flour?
    I found that making my own bread was quite expensive...
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    Have you found a source of good and cheap flour?
    I found that making my own bread was quite expensive...
    Ah well, there you have it. Actually, I use my business trips to Australia for this! I can take a normal carryon DOWN to Australia, but no matter how little I carry, it's almost impossible to carryon in the reverse direction due to the idiotic rules they have. So I just buy a 10kg bag of breadmix and put the whole lot in the hold. Lasts me a couple of months. Never found decent flour or decent breadmix up here - I guess that explains the local bread is so crap!
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MsPoppins:
    Das Gute has always struck me as a localised, inauthentic version of European bread- a bit to sweet and mushy to be the real deal.

Admittedly, I've never tried their pumpernickel as I prefer either crispy baguettes or the hardcore dense Germanic stuff.
    dear giant likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast