Chinese Regional Restaurants

Closed Thread

Chinese Regional Restaurants

After spending two years away in Shanghai I am now back in the Kong. While I was away I picked up a few things, like TB and a pathological fear of cab drivers. But I also took a liking to some of the more interesting regional Chinese cuisines and would like to continue eating them if at all possible.

So, does anybody know of a good restaurant that serve any of the following cuisines:

Hunan
    DongBei
    Uigher or Muslim food
    Yunan
    Chonqing hotpot, especially the spicy chicken one
    Hainan

Any help would be most welcome, so thanks in advance!

Your best bet is to go to Shenzhen for authentic Chinese food. Most Chinese food here caters to local favors where extra spicy means a little or not spicy at all.

Muslim. The Islamic restaurant in Kowloon city serves a nice variation but it's not the real thing.
    Little chilli in north point is ok for sichuan.
    There is Hunan garden but it's not Hunan food.
    Dong lai shun is the furthest dong bei we have.

You can look for the "Chuen Wan Gwai" (?) restaurants here which have these three characters in their names, for Sichuan, Yunnan and Guizhou food. I've seen quite a few of them around.

Openrice.com

If you are into Sichuan try:-

渝川菜館 - Sichuan Hot Chili Oil Chinese Restaurant in Wan Chai - Hong Kong Restaurants Guide HK Restaurant - OpenRice in English in Wan Chai.

very genuine, very hot and very good value, and definitely not for the faint hearted.

Thanks for the tips all.

I'll check out openrice as I'd rather not have to go to Shenzhen. Not a fan if I'm honest!