Like Tree22Likes

Tip Bartender?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Most of you have probably never done BAR work, the salary is SH!T, the bartenders and waitress do rely on tips, giving you shrapnel, you can take it or leave some for them. Don't forget basic salary is around 8K, with TIPS they can earn like 13K if their really good.

Most of you probably earn in a month what these BAR staff in like 1/2 year

Satay Sue, drumbrake and audiology like this.

If I get looked after nicely, I always tip. Particularly where I go more often as the benefits tend to compound over time...

Coins are reminders to give them some tips because the 10% service charges included in your bills goes to the company not to the waitress , waiters or bartenders. Usually on sundays it will be divided to all the staffs, including kitchen chef, cleaners , supervisors and even managers who have the biggest paycheck gets a percentage of the tips. they use this tips for their transportation cost because most of the employees in the restaurant live as far as Tuen Mun, Tseung Kwan O, Yuen Long, Tai Po, Tsing Yi , Lantau Islands etc, etc,

virago, drumbrake and audiology like this.

Quote Originally Posted by joanfung:
    Coins are reminders to give them some tips because the 10% service charges included in your bills goes to the company not to the waitress , waiters or bartenders. Usually on sundays it will be divided to all the staffs, including kitchen chef, cleaners , supervisors and even managers who have the biggest paycheck gets a percentage of the tips. they use this tips for their transportation cost because most of the employees in the restaurant live as far as Tuen Mun, Tseung Kwan O, Yuen Long, Tai Po, Tsing Yi , Lantau Islands etc, etc,
    Thanks for sharing a bit of what it is really like and how much some people have to travel/work hard...to make a living. Lots of people here complaining about very mundane things and forgettting why those people do the thing they do

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks Mobile
    audiology likes this.

Argument............stage right...........

side note after seeing virago's avatar, disney is making starwars episode 7 out in 2015.

anyway, back to the topic, no wonder my wallet is always full of coins. absolutely hate that crap. i think i will just stop taking anything less than 1 hk dollar from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Most of you have probably never done BAR work, the salary is SH!T, the bartenders and waitress do rely on tips, giving you shrapnel, you can take it or leave some for them. Don't forget basic salary is around 8K, with TIPS they can earn like 13K if their really good.

Most of you probably earn in a month what these BAR staff in like 1/2 year

I was a bartender in uni....but I still don't like tipping here. I have had too many bartenders/waitresses tell me (in private) that they can't keep the tips and they must give all gratuity to the owners. I just don't trust that when I leave a tip it actually goes to the right person.

If I am 100% sure the person serving me gets to keep the tip...than I will tip.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    I just don't trust that when I leave a tip it actually goes to the right person.

If I am 100% sure the person serving me gets to keep the tip...than I will tip.
    As tips are not required to supplement wages in Hong Kong, restaurants do not appear to the required mechanism to distribute TIPs appropriately so they just go to pay the rent.

Most restaurant workers generally live in heavily subsidised government housing which is the primary reason employers to pay them a pittance. Offering tips just re-enforces the poor practices of employers.

Instead tip the devout buddists asking for cash around the bars.....

I agree with Virago...the buddhist not only gives you a beatifiic smile, but, also lucky bracelet blessed with his blessing..
    Bar staff only gives you a beer.

virago and East_coast like this.