Like Tree2Likes

Places to eat near airport to meet friends during layover

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Places to eat near airport to meet friends during layover

If you had a friend flying through Hong Kong with a 6 or 7 hour layover and they wanted to get together to catch up on things.... where would you advise to go for good food and drinks.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I would whisk them to Central, via the Airport Express, and treat them to a meal at a nice restaurant in IFC overlooking the harbour.

Are they going to be tired zombies or do they like to do a bit of sightseeing?

You can do the central thing (as others have suggested) and you could also do a bit of tourist-trap stuff nearby:
    - take the cable car up to budda to kill a few hours
    - bus to MuiWo for dinner at one of several restaurants
    - bus back to Airport.
    - optional bus visit to TaiO
    (or mix up the order to suit the hours)

MovingIn07 likes this.

I guess, if you don't want to come to Central, you could arrange to meet them in Kowloon. Elements has quite a bit of stuff around.

Also, it really depends when said friend is arriving / departing.

There are a few places to eat in Terminal 2, like a conveyor belt sushi, a Vietnamese place, and a Chinese place... plus a big general food hall and one bar selling overpriced Heineken.

The Regal Hotel which is attached to Terminal 1 also has a restaurant and bar (though again pricey)

You could hop a taxi over to Tung Chung which has a number of restaurants in the Citygate shopping mall, including a Watami (Japanese casual dining).

Or, you could ask the taxi to take you to Seaview Crescent (also in Tung Chung, all the taxi drivers will know it) which right downstairs has a really nice outside patio bar called Zentro. Great place to have a pint and watch the planes coming in.

6-7 hours... what time do they arrive?

I personally like the seafood restaurants in Mui Wo and you could easily take a taxi over the hill. Great food, nice view, quiet, relaxing, cheap beers, interesting atmosphere. Mui Wo also has the China Bear bar which is a good spot. On a clear day good views of HK Island in the distance.

Oh, there is also the Thai Restaurant at the Nine Eagles golf course, very close to the airport:

http://www.nine-eagles.com/eng/erawan/index.html.

If its for dinner, you could do the dinner buffet at the Novotel in Tung Chung.

Was just about to say the same thing! The Thai restaurant at the Nine Eagles golf course is right next to the airport, and they have a shuttle bus.

closedcasket likes this.

Thanks all. Very Good suggestions. Not going to risk going into central, don't think I'll have the time. But do want to leave the airport, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Are they going to be tired zombies or do they like to do a bit of sightseeing?

You can do the central thing (as others have suggested) and you could also do a bit of tourist-trap stuff nearby:
    - take the cable car up to budda to kill a few hours
    - bus to MuiWo for dinner at one of several restaurants
    - bus back to Airport.
    - optional bus visit to TaiO
    (or mix up the order to suit the hours)
    Thx.

How long would it take door to door? Or baggage claim to Buddha?

Is their direct bus to mui wo? How long?

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Oh, there is also the Thai Restaurant at the Nine Eagles golf course, very close to the airport:

http://www.nine-eagles.com/eng/erawan/index.html.

If its for dinner, you could do the dinner buffet at the Novotel in Tung Chung.
    That is a good option, have you eaten there? Is it good food?

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    I guess, if you don't want to come to Central, you could arrange to meet them in Kowloon. Elements has quite a bit of stuff around.

Also, it really depends when said friend is arriving / departing.
    I was thinking about that myself....

Quote Originally Posted by Maracas Bay:
    There are a few places to eat in Terminal 2, like a conveyor belt sushi, a Vietnamese place, and a Chinese place... plus a big general food hall and one bar selling overpriced Heineken.

The Regal Hotel which is attached to Terminal 1 also has a restaurant and bar (though again pricey)

You could hop a taxi over to Tung Chung which has a number of restaurants in the Citygate shopping mall, including a Watami (Japanese casual dining).

Or, you could ask the taxi to take you to Seaview Crescent (also in Tung Chung, all the taxi drivers will know it) which right downstairs has a really nice outside patio bar called Zentro. Great place to have a pint and watch the planes coming in.

6-7 hours... what time do they arrive?

I personally like the seafood restaurants in Mui Wo and you could easily take a taxi over the hill. Great food, nice view, quiet, relaxing, cheap beers, interesting atmosphere. Mui Wo also has the China Bear bar which is a good spot. On a clear day good views of HK Island in the distance.

I need to get the exact layover time details and see exactly how much time we have. I think it is a little over 6 hours. But I'm not sure how long it will take to get out of airport etc etc. 6 hours sounds like plenty of time, but the last thing I want is to be rushed.

Zentro sounds nice, especially if the weather is as nice as it was today.
    Last edited by closedcasket; 28-12-2012 at 06:17 PM.

Elements at Kowloon station?
    Cosy cafe bars and restaurants, good glimpse of the central view.
    Clean toilets!
    Easy to sit around
    But nothing to shop tho

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast