Like Tree48Likes

%10 service charge

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    First of all, there is context...meals in this thread refer to meals in a restaurant. I know the concept of context is quite foreign to you so I am trying to explain it.

Second, take the average price of the same item, Mickey D combo and you will not find it cheaper in the US.

Third, on average my meals in a restaurant in HK are cheaper on average than my meals in restaurants in the US particularly when you factor in tip/tax which really has to be factored in because it is expected unless.

I gave the example of a nice set meal I had in an indian restaurant on Tuesday. It came in around 10US altogether. I can't remember getting out of a proper restaurant under 10US altogether.

Now your experience might be different but unless you have actual data to contradict it. I will remain an opinion. There is one undeniable fact that supports my opinion. MickeyDs are NOT cheaper in the US and are often more expensive than in HK. The rest is from my own experience which might differ from yours.

Ok, you speak about taking things in context. Than how about taking into context who uses the GeoExpat forums. When you speak about meals being more expensive in the US than in Hong Kong, I assume we are not talking about eating $12 hong kong rice and congee lunch boxes and McDonalds...but rather balanced, healthy meals.

I find McDonalds to be about the same price in Hong Kong as in the US, but again, the prices at McDonalds varies widely depending on where you are in the US. The prices can double from a small rural town in Kansas to a McDonalds in Chicago for instance.

Getting a nice set meal for $10 dollars can easily be done in the US. I do it all the time when I go back.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I have a lot of expat friends from the US and they all agree that food is a bigger expensive in Hong Kong than the US. We always talk about how we spend more on food out here, than we ever did in the US despite eating the same things and dining out at similar type places.

"I find McDonalds to be about the same price in Hong Kong as in the US"

LOL.
    http://bigmacindex.org/2011-big-mac-index.html

MovingIn07 likes this.

We were in Japan over Christmas, where there are no service charges, and when we tried to leave a few Yen at a little Hawaiian place in Nagano - genuinely about HK$3 - it really confused the staff. They pretty much chased us with the change, then when we waved it away, they 'forced' us to take a couple of little candy canes from their Christmas display to make up for it. Needless to say, this being Japan, the service had been excellent and friendly, and elsewhere would have fully justified a tip.

It can go too far the other way as well...

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    It is that occasional nut job that people remember. Sometimes its with voice, sometimes with fists, sometimes with guns and sometimes with bodily fluids but it does happen with enough regularity that the public has been conditioned not to undertip by intimidation. I (and many others) dont see that being very optional.

There is no such intimidation here and I'm happier for it.
    I know hotels will tack on 10-15% (and I can get it waived if bad service).
    I know some restaurants will tack on tea-fee
    and I know many wont tack on anything

I'm free to tip if I want to and I usually do if/when the situation warrants it and am never forced and coerced into it unlike USA (and Canada for that matter)...

Fair enough, like I said earlier, to each their own.

My American friends at the office are getting a good laugh out this thread and your fear of not tipping I guess if you are from the outside it might seem a bit intimidating, but really its not. Maybe DG is right, you guys rely far to much on what the media feeds you. Those who live in America don't sweat it. If the service is good, throw some money on the table...if the service is bad...throw very little money on the table and move on. At the end of the day, our system produces better service for about the same money.

Being fearful of guns or getting beaten up over a bad tip is about as logical as not wanting to hike up to the peak due to getting bit by a snake.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    "I find McDonalds to be about the same price in Hong Kong as in the US"

LOL.
    http://bigmacindex.org/2011-big-mac-index.html

LOL, $4.00 USD for a big mac in the US.....yeah, maybe in Manhattan or South Beach.

I can assure that in most places in the US, a big mac costs less than $4.00.

Do some research and you will not find ANY place in the US where Mickey D is cheaper. It will be similar price at best. As to your system providing better service for the same money, that is debatable at best but we all know your bias towards your own country.

BTW, as I said the service is just as good if not better in OZ and Australia where there is generally no tipping but higher wages...

Mat and MovingIn07 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Do some research and you will not find ANY place in the US where Mickey D is cheaper. It will be similar price at best. As to your system providing better service for the same money, that is debatable at best but we all know your bias towards your own country.

BTW, as I said the service is just as good if not better in OZ and Australia where there is generally no tipping but higher wages...

McDonalds prices are similar enough in Hong Kong and the US...enough so where I don't really notice a difference. A few pennies here or there, we'll leave it at that. Food in general is more expensive in HK than most of the US.

I have never said anything about OZ or Australia. All I know is that the service I have received in the US is far better than that I typically receive in Hong Kong. I'm sure there are other factors involved, but in my observation the staff here don't seem very motivated and really, I can't blame them. They have no incentive to work any harder than they do.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    I have a lot of expat friends from the US and they all agree that food is a bigger expensive in Hong Kong than the US. We always talk about how we spend more on food out here, than we ever did in the US despite eating the same things and dining out at similar type places.
    Yup, it's pretty typical of americans to want to live the same way they do in the US and resist adapting to their local environment. A US specialty to try to change other countries to make it like the US instead of adapting.

And some of you wonder why you have to sew canadian flags to your backpacks when traveling and why you are not more appreciated
    Mat, MovingIn07 and hktraveller like this.

McDonalds prices are similar enough in Hong Kong and the US...enough so where I don't really notice a difference. A few pennies here or there, we'll leave it at that. Food in general is more expensive in HK than most of the US.
    Same price in some area and up to double in others doesn't average out to be the same. That's why the website comes up with a different tally than your "opinion"
    Mat likes this.

My American friends at the office are getting a good laugh out this thread and your fear of not tipping
    Loathing of a dumb practice does not equate to fear. There are no shortage of people that hate the practice.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=hate+tipping
    I guess if you are from the outside it might seem a bit intimidating, but really its not.
    I hold a Canadian passport, was educated, lived and worked all over NA for 15+ years, have relatives across 8 different states that we visit regularly and still travel there for business : I think labelling me "outside" is as valid as calling USA-tip practices "optional"
    Maybe DG is right, you guys rely far to much on what the media feeds you. Those who live in America don't sweat it. If the service is good, throw some money on the table...if the service is bad...throw very little money on the table and move on. At the end of the day, our system produces better service for about the same money.
    DG is a miserable and bitter man stuck in a place that he loathes; I think you should look at others for inspiration.
    As for better service, it depends on your perspective. USA offers artificial, over the top, completely faked HOW ARE YOU ALL DOING TONIGHT from servers who's livelihood depends on your handouts.
    Being fearful of guns or getting beaten up over a bad tip is about as logical as not wanting to hike up to the peak due to getting bit by a snake.
    Indeed, but huge numbers of people wont go hiking for fear of snakes just as huge numbers wont travel to USA due to fear of death. Good luck changing their perception while snake sightings happen with regular frequency in Hong Kong and death happens even more frequently in the land of the free and home of the optional tip.
    Mat, MovingIn07 and hktraveller like this.