Like Tree56Likes

Horse meat

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    Anyone bought IKEA meatballs?
    according to tvb chinese news, hk ikea has stated that it's very unlikely that their meatballs has been affected on TVB news as only european countries have been affected, apparently, the one in HK may not been sourced from europe, can anyone scan the rear of ikea hk package for confirmation ?

apparently, over 10 eu countries have been affected

haha, my husband eats these. I'll check the packet when I get home. However, I think the HK meatballs are made here as they are almost breadcrumb and pork.

Mind you, they could have added roo meat like some manufacturers do to commercial pet food in Oz.

Last edited by Natfixit; 26-02-2013 at 12:22 PM. Reason: grammar typo

News now saying plus Hong Kong. Same Swedish supplier.

To put this in perspective, I was talking about this horse meat business with some mainland colleagues the other day, they say this would'nt even be news on the mainland. After all, food safety issues and corruption are so embedded on the mainland that it will be news if this did'nt happen there.

Last edited by Watercooler; 26-02-2013 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    actually macau, some psycho chopped human and apparent served them in chai -siu bun ( roast pork buns) 肉叉燒包
    Actually it should be 人肉叉燒包, "人肉" means human meat.

Not to mention this gruesome incident turning into the inevitable HK ultra-graphic exploitation flick starring Anthony Wong Chau-sang (a very talented actor by the way, although you could be forgiven for thinking otherwise if you watch this exploitation movie):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqs5IeyID-s

If you got the "stomach" for it, the whole film is actually uploaded on youtube somewhere .
    Last edited by Watercooler; 26-02-2013 at 01:33 PM.

We shouldn't joke living this close to a baby food scandal, who knows what is on our menus?

Quote Originally Posted by susanth:
    We shouldn't joke living this close to a baby food scandal, who knows what is on our menus?
    The horse meat scandal (with one minor exception) is not a food safety issue. Its just a fraud issue.

And if you ever think you are 100% certain to get safe food of known origin you are just living in a dream-world (or are an organic farmer who eats only his own produce).

Shit happens. Mostly it's irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    The worry is when said shit enters the food chain...

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    The horse meat scandal (with one minor exception) is not a food safety issue. Its just a fraud issue.

And if you ever think you are 100% certain to get safe food of known origin you are just living in a dream-world (or are an organic farmer who eats only his own produce).

100% agree. I really do not give a flying doo da that IKEA meatballs contains horse meat, hell, it may be the reason why they taste so good.

I'd like to have all of Hong Kong's retail meat DNA checked and certified!