Like Tree7Likes

fish n chips

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

fish n chips

Anyone got any recommendations? Went by the chippy on pottinger st which seems to have er changed hands,and the prices seemed over the top. However since its been years since I have indulged perhaps 150 for fish and chips seems fair.

It changed hands a couple of years back; the quality is unchanged. Cod is expensive these days. They have a set lunch of fish (normally sole) & chips & beans or mushy peas plus a cup of tea/coffee for $90+10% which seems reasonable to me. The all day breakfasts are good too.

Note though that The Chippy are being forced out shortly by the landlord upping the rent to $80,000 per month. They say they have secured a new location in Sai Ying Pun, but I don't have the address.

For us out in Sai Kung, The Chip IN does a fair job and charges a very reasonable price per serving, $36.00 for a small serving, $55.00 for a large serving. Obviously commercial rents out here are a lot lower than where The Chippy is located, and still believe they are the best Fish n Chip shop in the territory. But The Chip In is likely the best value for what you get. Beggars cant be choosers I reckon, but we like sitting outside The Chip IN on an early Sunday afternoon, the kids especially, as they can run around and play at the nearby playground.

Name:  The-Chipp-IN.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  264.5 KB
    Last edited by Skyhook; 18-05-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    carang and scrambler like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    It changed hands a couple of years back; the quality is unchanged. Cod is expensive these days. They have a set lunch of fish (normally sole) & chips & beans or mushy peas plus a cup of tea/coffee for $90+10% which seems reasonable to me. The all day breakfasts are good too.

Note though that The Chippy are being forced out shortly by the landlord upping the rent to $80,000 per month. They say they have secured a new location in Sai Ying Pun, but I don't have the address.
    80000 per month no wonder the fish was $100 a piece, just walked out when I saw the prices .However if the quality is still there maybe the set is the way to go .
    Or maybe a trip out to Sai kung is in order.
    Thanks for the update on the fish and chip scene.
    Wonder if I am the only one that misses Harry ramsdens by the Hopewell centre

Sent from my ST27i using GeoClicks mobile app
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hongkong7:
    Wonder if I am the only one that misses Harry ramsdens by the Hopewell centre
    You are definitely not the only one!

But I can't imagine what price a meal would be there at 2013 rentals
    East_coast likes this.

go to chip inn - its by the minibus terminal in Sai Kung, authentic fish n chips for hk$50

For us out in Sai Kung, The Chip IN does a fair job and charges a very reasonable price per serving,
    what sort of fish do they use Skyhook?

I don't care what fish they use to be quite honest, and have never had any cause to ask, as it tasted fine.

Obviously not as good as what I am used to back in Melbourne where the GREEKS are the fish and chip shop champions of the world/universe. It does the job Kim, its close enough, and I appreciate it being in our neighbourhood because if it closed, that would really suck.

I've also sampled the fish at the "chip inn" and spoken to the owner a few times.

she spent 10 years living in Leicester and she imports her fish from New Zealand, they really are "proper" fish and chips

carang likes this.

I miss fish and chips where they use halibut. Don't really like sole. Cod's alright but halibut has a nice texture to it that I like. Melbourne fish and chips is really yummy.

Skyhook likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast