Like Tree27Likes

Good Western food/steakhouse?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Louis Steak House in Wanchai is another place stuck in the 70s...

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdollars:
    You can't beat Jimmy's Kitchen in Central (opposite Marks and Spencer) for a proper old school steak. Mmm... I want one....!
    The one and only time I've been to Jimmy's Kitchen sucked. There were six of us, they messed up four of our orders (e.g. I ordered a blue steak and it came medium, someone else ordered medium well and it came rare) and their timing was really random, which was odd as we were one of only two tables at the time.

It was expensive and I do better steaks with a decent slab of meat and a skillet. I've never been back.

Edit: given that others are reporting that Jimmy's has been good, I am wondering about my own experience. We turned up fairly late on a weekend night and maybe the chef had gone home and one of the waiters took over the cooking. It really was that bad!
    Last edited by jgl; 28-05-2013 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdollars:
    Yeah! And who else offers 70's classics like Baked Alaska?
    hahhahahaa SOOOOO TRUE !

They do a mean, Veal Cordon Bleu, absolutely cooked to perfection, with no Asianization of the recipe, which is extremely rare in this town !

You'll get what's written on the menu at Jimmy's, which is why I love it so much..

for chinese style steaks, there is boston restaurant in wan chai

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Coast in mid levels does a steak special Mon to Thursday.
    Had a couple of times and good.

Sent from somewhere....

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Coast in mid levels does a steak special Mon to Thursday.
    Had a couple of times and good.

Sent from somewhere....
    Sounds interesting. Lunchtime, dinner, or both?

+1 for Ruth Chris. Pricey but great steak.

The only other good steak I've had in HK was at Zuma. I'm pretty picky about steak and tend to be disappointed with what's available in HK so usually cook my own at home (I buy a whole fillet from Meatmarket which lasts a while and is delicious!)
    But if you think Outback is a decent steakhouse, I'm sure you'll be satisfied with most of the places already recommended. Apologies if that sounds snotty. Didn't realise until I moved to HK that I've been spoiled by some very good - and reasonably priced - steakhouses in London.

Mortons and Ruth's Chris are really not worth anything close to the prices they charge. Ruth's in particular are so drowned in seasoning it's horrible. Wooloo's is better value.

Sadly nothing in HK comes close to Hawksmoor :'(

Quote Originally Posted by mid_gen:
    Mortons and Ruth's Chris are really not worth anything close to the prices they charge. Ruth's in particular are so drowned in seasoning it's horrible. Wooloo's is better value.

:'(
    Always thought Ruth's Chris overrated and overpriced.

if you like Outback then Manzos in Times Square, as previously recommended, is the place for you.

Wooloomooloo for a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by mid_gen:

Sadly nothing in HK comes close to Hawksmoor :'(
    Ahhhhh Hawksmoor!!!! Totally agree! Different league!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast