Like Tree1Likes

Congee in Sai Ying Pun?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Congee in Sai Ying Pun?

Hi all,

anyone know of any good local places in Sai Ying Pun (preferably close to Island Crest apartments) that does really good congee? I am hooked on the stuff so need to work out where to go.

By the way, I don't speak or read Chinese, and get very intimidated going into these places to ask about food, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

go down center street, turn left on des voux road before island pacific hotel.
    Google: Tone Hing Bldg, 211-213 Des Voeux Rd W, Hong Kong
    there is a place there with plastic flaps for a front door (to keep the aircon in) with tasty food and an english menu

that's great - thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    go down center street, turn left on des voux road before island pacific hotel.
    Google: Tone Hing Bldg, 211-213 Des Voeux Rd W, Hong Kong
    there is a place there with plastic flaps for a front door (to keep the aircon in) with tasty food and an english menu

found one even closer. tried it this morning and it was yum!
    http://www.openrice.com/english/rest...m?shopid=16190

Hate the stuff, my mrs always says its good for you, yeah right LOL

I only eat congee when I am really ill

Did ya eat the congee with them fried dough sticks, I like them, can eat quite a few in one sitting

For some reason, I really enjoy congee! It's of course helped by the fact that they say it's good for you (though I have mine with meat and stuff in it, so not sure if that's true!)

I don't normally have the dough sticks, as that would defeat the whole "good for you" thing, and I know I'd get addicted!!

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Hate the stuff, my mrs always says its good for you, yeah right LOL

I only eat congee when I am really ill

Did ya eat the congee with them fried dough sticks, I like them, can eat quite a few in one sitting

Quote Originally Posted by lanre:
    For some reason, I really enjoy congee! It's of course helped by the fact that they say it's good for you (though I have mine with meat and stuff in it, so not sure if that's true!)

I don't normally have the dough sticks, as that would defeat the whole "good for you" thing, and I know I'd get addicted!!
    That place you went to is quite good, I've gotten congee and yau jar gwai (the fried bread) there a few times.

Since congee is boiled rice, it actually spikes your blood sugar in a major way (more than table sugar). The meat/egg/fish (depending on what you want in it) can help offset the high glycemic index value, but it's still not the healthiest thing in the world to be eating. If you do eat it, you might as well go with the bread sticks, since it's not the same without them.
    lanre likes this.

thanks for the advice! I (normally) go to the gym most mornings so I guess that's my excuse for allowing myself to have it

Also, it's actually replacing the char siu buns I used to have for breakfast, so maybe congee is a better alternative??

glad to see an endorsement of the place! I don't suppose you know if they use MSG or not?

Quote Originally Posted by LegalizeHK:
    That place you went to is quite good, I've gotten congee and yau jar gwai (the fried bread) there a few times.

Since congee is boiled rice, it actually spikes your blood sugar in a major way (more than table sugar). The meat/egg/fish (depending on what you want in it) can help offset the high glycemic index value, but it's still not the healthiest thing in the world to be eating. If you do eat it, you might as well go with the bread sticks, since it's not the same without them.

There is a better place on Second Street just off Centre Street (IMO).

As for working out in the morning, congee would work better after a workout than before one to help refuel. Maybe you could have a few cha siu bao before your workout and congee after.

As for MSG, I doubt it, but you'd have to ask them. Glutamate is naturally occuring in meat anyway, and there is definitely salt in your congee, so you're getting both the sodium and glutamate anyway.

The Gutter.... I've moved up in the world

Sorry to hijack the thread, but... LegalizeHK

Please tell us more foods we can some kind of 'rush' from... you know what I mean

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast