Like Tree12Likes

Best restaurant(s) in Stanley?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    A 400 HKD meal for two can be cheap or it can be expensive...it will depends where, the context, the financial position of the peson present at the meal...
    $200 per head meal in Stanley, Hong Kong is a fairly normal amout of money. One should not expect much less (unless they are going to a takeout/cafe type of place).
    We get it, you love to splash, nothing wrong with that...enjoy.
    If $200 is your idea of splashing, you're living in the wrong city.
    jimbo, Elegiaque, Cwbguy and 1 others like this.

I had a decent lunch with very nice service yesterday at "Main Street" in Stanley.
    The staff were very nice, really made a difference

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    $200 per head meal in Stanley, Hong Kong is a fairly normal amout of money. One should not expect much less (unless they are going to a takeout/cafe type of place).
    If $200 is your idea of splashing, you're living in the wrong city.
    Agree 100% and that is why "fairly normal" is not "cheap" or "expensive"....

Saying it is "cheap" is not the same as saying it is "failry normal"....but hey...I am not native english speaker....

200 Is not my idea of splashing....thank you HC....I just have issue with people saying it's cheap when it is in fact "resonable" or as you said it yourself "fairly normal"...

Anyway...moving along...
    Last edited by Mat; 15-07-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Hiya, just thinking about going to Stanley for a dinner out.

What restaurants would you recommend -- best/tastiest food/menu? Been to the German place, would like to try something different and sit outside.

Any recommendations?
    A bit late, but if you don't mind sitting indoors, the food at Lucy's, tucked away in the market, is excellent. Chez Patrick is also good down near the plaza and has outdoor seating, but not the best view.

For better views, either the German place or the Vietnamese place in Murray House - both are good. Stan Cafe in the Plaza has a good lighter menu.

Most of the places on the waterfront are decent, good people watching. They aren't cheap for what you get, but I guess you pay a bit for location.
    Elegiaque and chris_yang22 like this.

Two thumbs up for Chez Patrick! Sure beats Yoshinoya! 😋

There's always that coca-cola themed restaurant in the middle of the market. You can get toast and lemon chicken and milk tea. And it's definitely affordable.

chris_yang22 likes this.

On my last visit to Stanley I went to McDonalds and can fully recommend it! I had a Double Cheeseburger with fries and coke.

The burger was done with just the perfect amount of time on the hot plate. It was well seasoned too.
    It came with French Fries, also cooked to perfection. The helpful staff could read my secret wish from my eyes and gave me a pack of extra ketchup without me actually mentioning it. From the drinks menu I had chosen a 'Coke' (2013). It was well tempered and had the right amount of sparkle. You seldom get such a nice dining experience in Hong Kong!

Excuse my briefness here. I will do a full write up with detailed pictures on Openrice in no time.

papaya, Proplus, pb1234 and 1 others like this.

Let be honest, if you decided having dinner at Stanley, Murray House would be the ideal place, $200+ per person should be something you expect since the location and the sea view itself. Foods there are above average, but with that kinda pricing and atmosphere, don't expect much surprises. The Vietnamese restaurant (Saigon) has fairly standard Vietnamese, good presentation, but then again, taste are standard. I tried the German restaurant the other day, pork knuckle and the mixed sausages are fairly decent, worth taking a try if you are there.

If you are there during the day, you could try walk down and pass the main street, next to the football court, there's a small burger shop which make fairly tasty burgers and hotdogs, around $60-90, the only down side is they uses cheap buns, which kinda disappointing.

Xia Fei Shanghainese on the first floor of Stanley Plaza. Think Crystal Jade but better tasting and without the ever-shrinking portions of CJs.

Chung's Cuisine on the 3rd floor of the Plaza is ok too.

Saigon, the Vietnamese place, has great ambience being outside watching the world go by, but as far as Vietnamese food goes, it's quite watered down to local tastes rather than something authentic.

If on the cheap, there is a Paisano's down there now too.