Like Tree47Likes

restaurant pet hates

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Several times in Hong Kong I've had enough of the idiot half heartedly cleaning my table and taken the cloth from them and done it myself.

I know people are going to say it's different for me because I knew it wasn't forever, but, when I worked in hospitality I always found the best way to have an enjoyable shift was to have a craic with the customers and work hard...this generally resulted in me getting better/more shifts as well as more flexibility with bosses....

It's simple laziness IMHO....still blows my mind sitting in restaurants here watching 17 waitresses running about with no plan, bumping into each other and customers, getting orders wrong, shouting, clattering plates....it's like being in a Keystone Cops film sometimes, except should be Keystone Waitresses...sooner or later, the fag smoking, white booted Cassanova from the kitchen will appear to drag a plastic rubbish bin full of dirty plates back to the kitchen....I just want to shake them and say, "Half of you, fuck off home, the other half, take four tables each and stay the fuck out of each others way...."....I mean, how hard can it bloody be? Don't even get me started on the pissing habit of not getting all the plates to the table at the same time.........twats.

And no, a free beaker of tepid tea when I sit down doesn't make up for shitty service...

Apart from those things, it's okay.

Last edited by INXS; 27-08-2013 at 08:24 PM.
    MovingIn07 and Elegiaque like this.

I don't get how I can order a 3 course meal here in HK, and have all the 3 courses arrive within 30 seconds of each other. I mean, I ordered starters, which came under the starters section of the menu, shouldn't that mean anything more than 30 seconds?

It's not unusual to receive the starters with the main course or even after. Unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    It's not unusual to receive the starters with the main course or even after. Unfortunately.
    I have finally got the restaurant we frequent most in the Gold Coast trained... salad to arrive at the same time as the main course please; both mains at the same time. It only took 7 years.

I think salad as a "starter" is a weird american thing. In the UK, salad is "on the side" at the same time as the main (particularly if the main is something like pasta).

I think coffee arriving with dessert is another weird American thing. Coffee is AFTER dessert!!!

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    17 waitresses running about with no plan, bumping into each other and customers, getting orders wrong, shouting, clattering plates....it's like being in a Keystone Cops film sometimes, except should be Keystone Waitresses...sooner or later, the fag smoking, white booted Cassanova from the kitchen will appear to drag a plastic rubbish bin full of dirty plates back to the kitchen....I just want to shake them and say, "Half of you, fuck off home, the other half, take four tables each and stay the fuck out of each others way...."....
    The most impactful solution would be to raise the minimum wage by say 100%. Then the owner would almost certainly train his staff to be more efficient.

Pet hate at restaurants - people eating wearing a hat or worse a baseball cap.
    INXS likes this.

People picking into the food with their chopsticks when "public chopsticks" are provided.
    People picking into the food with their chopsticks but not actually taking what they have touched.
    People putting food on my plate / in my bowl using their used chopsticks.
    People spitting food on the table instead of putting it onto a small plate / into a small bowl.
    People complaining if the (first) food isn't served within 5 minutes after placing the order.
    People ordering all kinds of weird food for me to try instead of asking what I would like.
    People ordering excessively and not finishing all the food.
    People speaking with food in their mouth.
    People taking group photos after the meal, with the dirty dishes and leftovers on the table.

Last edited by Raccon; 28-08-2013 at 01:08 AM.

Chinese at western buffets - taking huge piles of food to put in the centre of THEIR table rather than just allowing each person to go and select what they want. The waste is just pathetic.

Natfixit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    People picking into the food with their chopsticks when "public chopsticks" are provided.
    People picking into the food with their chopsticks but not actually taking what they have touched.
    People putting food on my plate / in my bowl using their used chopsticks.
    People spitting food on the table instead of putting it onto a small plate / into a small bowl.
    People complaining if the (first) food isn't served within 5 minutes after placing the order.
    People ordering all kinds of weird food for me to try instead of asking what I would like.
    People ordering excessively and not finishing all the food.
    People speaking with food in their mouth.
    People taking group photos after the meal, with the dirty dishes and leftovers on the table.
    That's about 95% of HK'ers do! I assume you don't eat with Chinese then!

Sent from somewhere....

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    The most impactful solution would be to raise the minimum wage by say 100%. Then the owner would almost certainly train his staff to be more efficient.

Pet hate at restaurants - people eating wearing a hat or worse a baseball cap.
    Aha! A kindred spirit! I also hate to see people shoveling with their forks, American style!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast