Like Tree18Likes

Food Allergies where to Eat out, Where to shop for food.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I know this is very specific and probably not helpful, but there is a lovely little vegetarian restaurant, Light Living, in Sai Ying Pun (west of Central) just before the corner of Second St. on Eastern St. The "chef" is the owner of the restaurant and she is very caring about the food she makes. She speaks very good English and makes very wholesome food. I bet she would be happy to work something out for you. Set lunch is $98 and set dinner is $120. Because she only makes a limited number of dishes (none of which, off the top of my head, contain peanuts) it should be pretty transparent to know what is being used in the kitchen.
    That sounds like exactly the kind of info the OP can use.

eating out

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Oh boy. You have to be super careful. Peanut oil is commonly used to stir-fry because of its high flashpoint. Even if an alternative oil is used to stir-fry your order, the residual peanut oil left in the wok may be enough to set off a reaction.

Don't assume a server or cook will make the connection that peanut oil is also a peanut product. I would operate on the assumption that in the mind of servers and cooks, no obvious peanuts/nuts in your dish means it's safe - not realizing (caring) that cooking oil, sauces, cooking utensils possible contact with nuts, etc. are enough to trigger a reaction.

Also keep in mind, oils such as sesame oil are often times stretched with another oil - often times peanut oil.
    Really good comments! And most, if not all, HK restuarants don't understand that they need a whole separate procedure and process if they want to ensure 'peanut [or any other allergy]' free food gets produced. E.g. US restuarants who do so often have a separate cooking and assembly process to make sure there's no accidental cross contamination.

This is probably not going to be very helpful to normal people , but I'm providing this colour just in case. I know someone (with deep pockets!) who is allergic to gluten, and they told me the only places they can be certain understands the challenges are (contacts them in advance):
    Mandarin Grill, Sevva, Amber. Very high end, small scale sushi restaurants. High end caterers (gives parties at home).

More practically, you may want to check out the cheaper small private kitchens where the chef personally prepares the food and can make you something very customised. You may want to ask open ended questions about how they'll ensure no cross-contamination, btw, or check that no ingrediants have 'off-label' peanut content.
    Last edited by z754103; 04-09-2013 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by z754103:
    Really good comments! And most, if not all, HK restuarants don't understand that they need a whole separate procedure and process if they want to ensure 'peanut [or any other allergy]' free food gets produced. E.g. US restuarants who do so often have a separate cooking and assembly process to make sure there's no accidental cross contamination.

This is probably not going to be very helpful to normal people , but I'm providing this colour just in case. I know someone (with deep pockets!) who is allergic to gluten, and they told me the only places they can be certain understands the challenges are (contacts them in advance):
    Mandarin Grill, Sevva, Amber. Very high end, small scale sushi restaurants. High end caterers (gives parties at home).

More practically, you may want to check out the cheaper small private kitchens where the chef personally prepares the food and can make you something very customised. You may want to ask open ended questions about how they'll ensure no cross-contamination, btw, or check that no ingrediants have 'off-label' peanut content.
    The only time I've seen somebody react to a peanut allergy, was at an Asian restaurant in Toorak, Melbourne, even though the waiter and owner were told that one of our party suffered an acute peanut allergy..

Then just given lip service by said owner and waiter and our friend needing a jab to the centre of the chest with an adrenalin shot, minutes after eating her order!

Pretty exciting stuff!

Hong Kong would be pretty daunting for some one that suffers this type of condition. As the average minimum wage cook out the back, really does not give a Donald Duck about your allergy.

Atleast in back home, most kitchen staff are properly schooled f and b staff, who are thoroughly kitchen trained about cross contamination. But it can still happen, but is rare, thanks to a large amount of industry awareness.

Medical science has also recently made a breakthrough for gluten allergy sufferers, with their new pre meal stomach lining pill, one that works reliably. The announcement was a couple of weeks ago.

Hopefully one day, medical science can do something for other food allergy sufferers.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 21-10-2016 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    ... and our friend needing a jab to the centre of the chest with an adrenalin shot, minutes after eating her order!
    Hollywood has so much to answer for with treatments given a certain way for dramatic affect. All adrenaline autoinjectors should be used on the outer thigh. No where else...
    HowardCoombs likes this.

Autointectors? Don't know about that mate, did they exist back then, unless they have big needles, but it was 28 years ago and we were a bit inebriated at the time ie being 18 year olds. Lol

It wasn't a laughing matter at the time.

Hi everyone,

I know this thread is very old, but I would also love some updates/advice as well. We are moving to HK from the US for a short time (1 1/2 years max) and one our children who is 12 has severe food allergies to dairy, soy, nuts and eggs. It's a lot, but completely manageable in the US given Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and some restaurants that are good with food allergies.

What is your experience with managing food allergies in Hong Kong? How do schools handle this?

Thanks!

Don't come.

JAherbert likes this.

International schools treat food allergies very seriously. Most are now nut-free and we have been running free presentations to the staff on the prevention, recognition and response to anaphylaxis. Slowly, but surely, the international schools are now stocking adrenaline autoinjectors for unidentified students who may suddenly go into anaphylaxis shock. Local schools rely on calling the emergency services.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Don't come.
    Yep, if I had a child with severe food allergies, I'd give majority of Asia, a very wide berth.

Not worth the stress, aggravation, or risk.

Pick somewhere a 'lot' better educated in its food handling and cross contamination practices.

Australia
    New Zealand
    The EU
    Canada
    Singapore
    Dubai
    Israel
    Etc
    Etc

You know, places that actually have a highly evolved awareness about food allergies, who accept it as part of their normal standard of commercial kitchen operation.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 04-01-2017 at 09:29 AM.
    HK_Katherine and JAherbert like this.