Like Tree8Likes

Good Indonesian restaurant

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oki_boy:
    Padang Restaurant next to the MCL JP cinema. The price can jump up quickly depending on what you order, but the quality is extremely stable, and good........
    Hi OKI_boy I went to Padang on Saturday night. Interesting effect having the thumping movie goers over your head. We cancelled at "Indoneasian Restaurant" in TST in favour of "Padang" at CWB. Not sure it was a good idea.

You're right. It's a very unassuming place, generic corner restaurant with the only nod to it being Indonesian at all a rather dusty tired looking wooden Garuda sculpture placed at the entrance but yes do those prices add up.

I would say that the quite ordinary food sometimes slightly bellow par is not quite honestly worth the exceptional price tag. One rijstafel, plus an extra gado-gado and a nasi-goreng came to 500$. No alcohol. This was shared.

If you think that a full dinner buffet at the grand Hyatt costs about 500$ it's very very poor value indeed even taking into account that price is for just one at the Grand Hyatt.

The quality is very plain and sometimes as in the case of the pinda sauce on the gado-gado well bellow average, it was obviously made from an instant packet mix high in corn starch.

We took home some plumb spekkoek, stale and oily but tasty enough.

Service was hectic and we kept getting things we didn't order and not getting things we did, all with a sheepish smile so it wasn't too irritating. They forgot to give us the rijstafel dessert and option of koppie koffie or tea at the end but we were ready to go anyway.

Im wondering if the more authentic places where the FDH eat might be better, though the quality of the meat etc might be a bit iffy the pay off maybe is that its more tasty and authentic. Im sure it's also a fraction of the price.

Still looking for good Indoneasian if anyone knows.

We went there on Friday(?) for lunch, and still had a pretty good experience. We got the nasi-goreng, black pepper & chili prawns, and some roti. Price came out to somewhere around $300 or so, which is pretty expected by now. Food was still good, but I will say, the Nasi-Goreng was missing a bit of flavor this time around.

I think a lot of it is going to be personal preference on flavor as opposed to one place being "good" or "bad". A couple of my wifes friends REFUSE to go to Padang, but the places they've taken my wife to, she has also refused to go back to. Lol, Different strokes for different folks.

The best Indonesian restaurant is in Kwun Tong. Just a simple little eatery run by an Indonesian-Chinese family for decades now. Authentic, delicious! Satay from the charcoal grill etc. They were even nominated for a Michelin star. Forget the name and address....will have to look that up.

Lucky Indonesia restaurant

Map G/F., 46 Tung Ming St, Kwun Tong
    觀塘通明街46è™Ÿåœ°ä ¸‹
    2389 3545

The best Indonesian food I've had in HK, by far, is stuff I cook myself. The stuff that is made for FDHs (nasi campur, tempe goreng) is actually better than at any of the Indonesian restaurants or warungs I've tried in HK, but the ingredients (especially meat) aren't the best quality of course. That really is the issue with dining; high rent and expensive ingredients make it very difficult to offer good food at a reasonable price here.

Considering Indonesians now make up HK's largest minority group, there is definitely room for GOOD Indonesian food. Padang is about as bad as IR1968 IMO.

BTW the reason they eat 'Indonesian' food in Malaysia is because 'Padang' food is from the Minangkabau of West Sumatra, who are considered ethnically Malay, even though Sumatra is part of Indonesia.

A well-made bami goreng/soto betawi/nasi rawon and I'm in heaven. I do make first rate rendang too, but it goes way too fast, especially considering the time and effort required to make it the right way from scratch (I don't do sauce packets unless it's bumbu gado-gado).

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 04-11-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Cinta J seems to be popular with the Indonesians but I only ate there once and that was back in 2008 so i cant remember if it was any good.

my new secret place is the refreshment stand inside victoria park. good value and good food. just dont go on sunday.

Koen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by oki_boy:
    the Nasi-Goreng was missing a bit of flavor this time around.
    Oooh its flat flat flat, misses heart and soul. We asked for some sambal and ketjap manis to try and improve matters but we turned it into a mess.

Glad the rest was good for you. Maybe if you know what they can do well it might be a better thing.

I was this close to going for the pepper crab but decided the rijstafel should give me a good overall impression, think I was kinda right.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    The best Indonesian food I've had in HK, by far, is stuff I cook myself. The stuff that is made for FDHs (nasi campur, tempe goreng) is actually better than at any of the Indonesian restaurants or warungs I've tried in HK, but the ingredients (especially meat) aren't the best quality of course. That really is the issue with dining; high rent and expensive ingredients make it very difficult to offer good food at a reasonable price here.

Considering Indonesians now make up HK's largest minority group, there is definitely room for GOOD Indonesian food. Padang is about as bad as IR1968 IMO.

BTW the reason they eat 'Indonesian' food in Malaysia is because 'Padang' food is from the Minangkabau of West Sumatra, who are considered ethnically Malay, even though Sumatra is part of Indonesia.

A well-made bami goreng/soto betawi/nasi rawon and I'm in heaven. I do make first rate rendang too, but it goes way too fast, especially considering the time and effort required to make it the right way from scratch (I don't do sauce packets unless it's bumbu gado-gado).
    Hundred % agree with you on this but you have to be a good cook no short cuts allowed.

After Padang exactly the night after we made babi ketjap and it was delicious, from scratch I know it's an easy one but its the only one Im confident enough to make, betawi too. I put in some sultana's and just just a very small splash of ooops Vermouth it worked it did. It just happened felt like the right thing Pork sirloin nice big piece. No offence.

The right way from scratch is the only way. Thats what you pay for innit?

So Jay where do we order, I want a whole roasty ayam.

Thanks for the explanation, Indonasian is excelent in KL also Singapore but HK hmmmmm

I'm all about authenticity when I cook; I try never to substitute because you can absolutely tell in the finished dish!

I think I'd pass on sultanas and vermouth

I wish I had more time to cook. It's char siu fan in a lunchbox tonight I think! There have been a few interesting leads on this thread. The smaller Indonesian-Chinese run place suggested here sounds worth a shot.

Speaking of Indonesian-Chinese, don't eat at the Indonesian restaurant opposite the Central Libary. That place is terrible!