Like Tree8Likes

Good Indonesian restaurant

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

@Jay: definitely try the place in Kwun Tong, you won't regret. My husband is Chinese/Indonesian himself and extremely critical of good Indonesian food. Well, food in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Jones:
    @Jay: definitely try the place in Kwun Tong, you won't regret. My husband is Chinese/Indonesian himself and extremely critical of good Indonesian food. Well, food in general.
    Terima kasih I'll be sure to check it out!

Lucky Indonesia restaurant

Map G/F., 46 Tung Ming St, Kwun Tong
    觀塘通明街46è™Ÿåœ°ä ¸‹
    2389 3545
    How much is a simple dish ?
    Tks
    Koen likes this.

Openrice has good ratings, but the only review in English thinks that it's over-rated. Dishes are $40-$70 it seems.
    http://www.openrice.com/english/rest...7&region=0&s=3

Warung Malang Club in causeway bay

Warung Malang is no good either IMO. Avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Warung Malang Club in causeway bay
    Gets mostly good reviews? Maybe Jayinhongkong can be more specific, the pictures are making me feint with hunger.

I never even saw tempe at Padang and whats a rijstafel without?

Why is the food generaly so much more astounding in Singapore. It just wows you here its all a bit of a muddy messy rip off.
    jayinhongkong likes this.

Mrs Jones is piquing my curiousity.

Generaly when I hear the words Chinese/Indoneasian I run a mile, as so often the case being that the Chinese pretend to to run a particular restaurant like a Thai or Indian and it turns out to be steam egg kakha and all the other usual local suspects.

Never been to Kwung Tong suppose there's always a first.....any parking in the area?
    Morrison likes this.

SG has access to good, cheap ingredients from Malaysia. Street food in Malaysia and SG is absolutely amazing! Thailand and Indonesia too, since they can use local ingredients. Here in HK pretty much everything is imported, and the cheap stuff is imported from farms in China. While China does have some amazing produce, it's definitely not the cheap stuff you buy here in HK.

Koen, feel free to try Malang and see if it meets your needs. I went once and that was enough for me!

As for the place in Kwun Tong, I think it is run by an Indonesian-Chinese family, as in Chinese people who grew up in Indonesia and are very much Indonesian (not locals who decided to open up an Indonesian restaurant). I could be wrong though...

Lots of parking in Kwun Tong.

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 05-11-2013 at 07:13 PM.
    Koen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    SG has access to good, cheap ingredients from Malaysia. Street food in Malaysia and SG is absolutely amazing! Thailand and Indonesia too, since they can use local ingredients. Here in HK pretty much everything is imported, and the cheap stuff is imported from farms in China. While China does have some amazing produce, it's definitely not the cheap stuff you buy here in HK.

Koen, feel free to try Malang and see if it meets your needs. I went once and that was enough for me!

As for the place in Kwun Tong, I think it is run by an Indonesian-Chinese family, as in Chinese people who grew up in Indonesia and are very much Indonesian (not locals who decided to open up an Indonesian restaurant). I could be wrong though...

Lots of parking in Kwun Tong.
    Could you please explain your comment about Warung Malang Club more? Thanks!