Like Tree22Likes

Australian wine and italian wine

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Urgh...I HATE Pinot Grigio. It seems to have taken over (in London at least) as the "house wine" from Chardonnay. Hate them both! But a nice Riesling goes down a treat
    Yes, I agree that too many Restos and hotels are too lazy to add any thing other than Pinot Grigio to their house wines apart from Chardonnay, which I personally cannot drink. I find it bitter on you palate from the residual sugar, oaked or unoaked. There are some very good, crisp Pinot grigios out there, but sadly many establishments that choose to put it on their wine lists theses days are more interested in profits over taking the time to choose something different and decent.

I've even tasted some pretty good Lebanese and Greek whites would suffice with a curry, mixed grill, and even the sharpest of cheeses.

Keep on tasting and enjoying!!!
    bibbju likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Koen:
    Yes but still, the food over powers the wine, I dunno the combination numbs my tongue sensless.
    I think it might be the curry numbing your tongue rather than the wine-curry combination lol. Maybe have a slightly less spicy curry if you want to drink wine with it?

Although sometimes a really spicy curry is the perfect complement to wine if the wine available is really dodgy. All you feel is cold and wet liquid. Perfect. I use this approach if I'm eating in Brick Lane/E1. If it's somewhere fancy like Benares, Cinnamon Club etc, then I'll order some "proper" wine.

Another option. But may be expensive. I tried this at the wine show last year, sparkling vodka. Pure sparkling vodka. Extremely easy to drink but tastes purer than the water in Jukkasjärvi, Lapland. This drop can withstand any hot curry. But then again, if he curry is so spicy that it makes everything you taste bitter, then it is too hot. That's when the lassi and non alco stuff comes in handy.

I happened to pass by a Voi La branch (Sheung Wan) today, so I popped in. I don't see how their prices are better than supermarkets, unless you're getting better wine for the same price somehow? I'm not enough of an expert to make these kinds of distinctions. I have generally found that organic wine tends to taste better, and sadly they didn't have any there. They also didn't have a large selection of Italian wines, but three whole areas of the shelves for Bordeaux.
    Anyway, I got a special offer bottle for $45 -- A Spanish Syrah/Tempranillo. I'll have to report back how it is.
    And to think there used to be a day - as a student - in Europe when I thought people who spent SEVEN EUROS on a bottle of wine were splurging!! (And oh how good that 7 euro, organic wine would taste....)
    Natfixit, if you have any particular recommendations of bottles from them that are good value for money below $150, do let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by Trance Omega:
    Try Chocolate Block. Watson's sells it and one of my favorite SA wines. Decant it for at least 30 mins though.
    I agree. I have a 2010 one in the wine fridge that I am keeping for now.

If it's somewhere fancy like Benares, Cinnamon Club etc, then I'll order some "proper" wine.
    Oh no never heard of these places, dont think they existed when I was living there.

The closest we had to Kensington was a take away in West Kensington past Olympia, the food was standard Engrish curry vindaloo style. Hot beyond description but we loved it even the fatty pieces of mutton grizzle.

There weren't many restaurants obviously but I did like the one next to the Odeon Kensington High, Sophia Loren Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by Koen:
    Oh no never heard of these places, dont think they existed when I was living there.

The closest we had to Kensington was a take away in West Kensington past Olympia, the food was standard Engrish curry vindaloo style. Hot beyond description but we loved it even the fatty pieces of mutton grizzle.
    Benares is a Michelin starred Indian. It's been around since 2001. Cinnamon Club also opened in 2001. It's when "high class" Indian food really took off in London.

Must admit that Kensington wouldn't be on top of my list if I fancied a curry.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I happened to pass by a Voi La branch (Sheung Wan) today, so I popped in. I don't see how their prices are better than supermarkets, unless you're getting better wine for the same price somehow? I'm not enough of an expert to make these kinds of distinctions. I have generally found that organic wine tends to taste better, and sadly they didn't have any there. They also didn't have a large selection of Italian wines, but three whole areas of the shelves for Bordeaux.
    Anyway, I got a special offer bottle for $45 -- A Spanish Syrah/Tempranillo. I'll have to report back how it is.
    And to think there used to be a day - as a student - in Europe when I thought people who spent SEVEN EUROS on a bottle of wine were splurging!! (And oh how good that 7 euro, organic wine would taste....)
    Natfixit, if you have any particular recommendations of bottles from them that are good value for money below $150, do let me know!
    I would say that voi la offers better wines at roughly the same price than in supermarkets. There is a good range at their Pottinger street store, plus you can taste certain wines. Go see.

When I lived in Germany in the early 2000s, I could buy pretty decent wine for about 2 euros a bottle. And that was from general supermarkets and ka de we.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Benares is a Michelin starred Indian. It's been around since 2001. Cinnamon Club also opened in 2001. It's when "high class" Indian food really took off in London.

Must admit that Kensington wouldn't be on top of my list if I fancied a curry.
    Oh yes, Kensington isn't/wasnt top of my list for any restaurants or much else. Knightsbridge was ok. Kensington was convenient and I had a lovely garden all thanks to my dear departed uncle Hars.

There was a very decent UAE type shop selling fresh middle Eastern products and etc.

Missed the boat. We were still there in 2000 well not in person as we went to the Atlas mountains in Morocco fearing the worst at the turn of the century (the UK does this to you it's insane). But nothing happened except our chassis broke in half bloody Peugeot.

I loved it has to be said Morocco.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    I would say that voi la offers better wines at roughly the same price than in supermarkets. There is a good range at their Pottinger street store, plus you can taste certain wines. Go see.

When I lived in Germany in the early 2000s, I could buy pretty decent wine for about 2 euros a bottle. And that was from general supermarkets and ka de we.
    I'm showing my age now but when I lived in Paris as a student, we never spent more than 5 francs on a bottle of wine unless it was a very special occasion. On those rare occasions, we'd say "ooooh, it's a 7 franc bottle, ooooh it's got a green top, it's not a blend, ooooooh nice!" These were also the days when a jar of Dolmio once a month split between us was a real treat! I was so easily pleased back then...where did it all go wrong lol?!
    Elegiaque and Claire ex-ax like this.