Like Tree22Likes

Australian wine and italian wine

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by Koen:
    We were still there in 2000 well not in person as we went to the Atlas mountains in Morocco fearing the worst at the turn of the century (the UK does this to you it's insane). But nothing happened except our chassis broke in half bloody Peugeot.
    Really??? Yikes! I spent Y2K standing on the roof of the office building where I worked. Lovely meal at Gaucho in Piccadilly then we tried to get to the Thames to watch the fireworks but the streets were rammed. Ended up talking nicely to security at the bank I worked for by Monument and they let us in. Went up to the roof with the guys in IT who were working overnight (I was friends with them) and drank champagne (out of plastic cups from the coffee machine) with a fabulous view and some good people. It was a really special night. Sadly, the world was still standing the next day and I had to go back to work on New Year's Day minus the bubbly.
    Koen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Sadly, the world was still standing the next day and I had to go back to work on New Year's Day minus the bubbly.
    Yes we were also suprised by that one. Except I had to sleep on a cow dung floor on a mat. A pretty lovely woven mat but still it was ice freaking cold.
    bibbju likes this.

Im being unfair on Kensington.

Michael Winner had a stunning sub tropical garden I still don't know how he managed it? Sorcerers magic. He had a fully grown Ensete ventricosum up along side the house as tall as the house, not just Ensete ventricosum but E ventricosum "Maurelii". This is like coming across a wild African elephant in your neighbours garden.

He was a very nice friendly old man game to the end.

Freddie Mercury's cats and what was left of him......it had it's charms and secretes I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Koen:
    Im being unfair on Kensington.

Michael Winner had a stunning sub tropical garden I still don't know how he managed it? Sorcerers magic. He had a fully grown Ensete ventricosum up along side the house as tall as the house, not just Ensete ventricosum but E ventricosum "Maurelii". This is like coming across a wild African elephant in your neighbours garden.

He was a very nice friendly old man game to the end.

Freddie Mercury's cats and what was left of him......it had it's charms and secretes I suppose.
    Perhaps he just had a very good (and no doubt very expensive) gardener?

I think quite a few of his most memorable quotes suit some of Geoexpat's members quite well:

"I don't want to live in a tolerant society. I want to live in a very intolerant society."

"Grumbling should never be well-mannered or under control. It should be full-blooded. It should be rampant."

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2...-winner-quotes

And of course the legendary "Calm down dear" which got PM David Cameron into hot water:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uMvQUfbges
    Last edited by bibbju; 13-11-2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: fat fingers as always
    Koen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Perhaps he just had a very good (and no doubt very expensive) gardener?
    He never let on just grinned like Jack and his incredible bean stalk. I think he had heating pipes under the soil throughout the garden. Shudder to think what he was paying in electricity and water bills.

I couldn't get E ventricosum to grow in Hong Kong, very dissapointing. I tried for a number of years from seed and imported established plants. They just don't seem to like heat and humidity with heavy rain, prefering a cooler mountain type climate. No absolutely no frost or much bellow 10-15%c. Often used as an annual in the UK as their summer is fine but they never grow into the monster giants that they are meant to be. Except for Mr Winner's of course

Just over 150$ i tried this spanish wine from watson recently and it was pretty good : http://www.watsonswine.com/WebShop/B...o?prdid=387931

Not very complex but well balanced with fruit tannins and acidity...good value!

Aussie wines: I definitely recommend Kaesler Avignon 2009 which for the price is a nice barossa (not too heavy and ready to drink now)

http://www.watsonswine.com/WebShop/B...o?prdid=372020

Natfixit likes this.

121BC (italian) in peel st now have a retail arm next door. best bit is you can try them next door by the glass with a bite to eat if you like.

Koen likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by brutt0:
    121BC (italian) in peel st now have a retail arm next door. best bit is you can try them next door by the glass with a bite to eat if you like.

"Bottleshop" *shudder* Ghastly word.
    Koen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastien-F:
    Just over 150$ i tried this spanish wine from watson recently and it was pretty good : http://www.watsonswine.com/WebShop/B...o?prdid=387931

Not very complex but well balanced with fruit tannins and acidity...good value!

Aussie wines: I definitely recommend Kaesler Avignon 2009 which for the price is a nice barossa (not too heavy and ready to drink now)

http://www.watsonswine.com/WebShop/B...o?prdid=372020
    The Old Bastard Shiraz is also a good drop to lie down in your wine fridge for a few more years or decant and enjoy.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5