Like Tree37Likes

What is your favorite wine at the moment

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Hmmm. Tasting an Oregon gamay 2012. A bit too fruit driven ( or fruity as my husband would say ) for my tastes, than the actual French gamays. Tried a Tignanello Antinori 2009 tonight also. The list said that the vintage was 2010, but they didn't have it in...yet!!! Complained until my hubby said I was getting too precious. So I relented, and yep. He said maybe the 2010 vintage would have been better. Tried the Antinori Badia 2007 two night ago. Terrific. Rip off prices in Tokyo, of course but will see if I can source it somewhere in HK now that summergate do not deal with Antinori wines anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    Tried a Tignanello Antinori 2009 tonight also.
    When I used to fly a huge amount up front on Cathay (I guess around 2002/3) I consumed substantial quantities of Tignanello, which was their main choice alongside the Lynch-Bages for many months - it was an excellent wine back then (I guess mid to late-nineties vintages), but I haven't had any since. I must go hunting for some.

As an aside I never really found Lynch-Bages that wonderful, Cathay's pushing of it notwithstanding. It's good, but not that good.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    When I used to fly a huge amount up front on Cathay (I guess around 2002/3) I consumed substantial quantities of Tignanello, which was their main choice alongside the Lynch-Bages for many months - it was excellent
    I hope you weren't too far upfront?! Some of us would like to arrive alive.

I'm on diet. All wine is disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Trance Omega:
    Ksara do a great rose. I actually went to their vineyard for a bit of wine tasting. Only problem was it was in the heart of Hezbollah territory in the Beka'a valley.
    Is that similar to one of my all time favourites Chateau Musar?

I haven't seen any in HK lately, but the reds were superb.

I was generally that far up front, but downstairs Such were the joys of being a Diamond member (particularly around SARS time when CX was very grateful to anyone still flying).

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    Is that similar to one of my all time favourites Chateau Musar?

I haven't seen any in HK lately, but the reds were superb.
    It does seem quite hard to find here, although they held a tasting dinner at the FCC a couple of years ago, following which I did order and partake of quite a few bottles of the Chateau Musar 1999.

At the time their local agents were:

• FICO INTERNATIONAL LTD 24/F Yardley Comm. Bldg., 3 Connaught Road West, Hong Kong
    • Tel: 2850 4799 Fax: 2850 4006
    • Email:[email protected]

They still seem to be importing it: http://www.fico-wines.com/wine_list.asp?classid=339
    Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 06-12-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Thanks for that, just sent off for a price list.

When I discovered it in London many moons ago they could not give it away, was a couple of quid a bottle..

Last time I bought in HK was over HK$300

Yes - the 1999 was $318 per bottle in 2011... And I'm with you that in London in the late 80s / early 90s it was an absolutely stunning bargain.

Excellent stuff it is, not that I can afford to drink $300+ bottles all that often.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 06-12-2013 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    I was generally that far up front, but downstairs ........
    Oh I Love Jumbos. Don't think there is a nicer plane to fly on. Hope we get a Jumbo two weeks time when we fly out, its long haul.....too early to tell, long as it has the new biusness class seats. No doubt be drinking some wine depends.....ooooh its horrible arriving after a booze binge, crack of dawn, strange faces peering, sunlight blinding...

The nose is always the best
    Gruntfuttock likes this.

You can find musar at city super, also this importer is selling it sometime: wine world
    www.wineworld.com.hk

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast