Like Tree91Likes

Ruby Tuesday - are adults forbidden to order food from the kids' menu?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Its not about anti-discrimination law but the basics entering into a contract.
    Yeah, good point.

So in this case, the company would have implied that the contract of that one sitting would have been okay with kids' food as the wait staff accepted the order?

And clarifying policy afterwards would have only applied to future (if ever) visits?

Quote Originally Posted by edwinhww:
    I had this awful experience last week at Ruby Tuesday (Silvercord center, TST) that I would like to share with you all, and as the title says, it's about ordering from the kids’ menu.

I take my son to the Little Gym every week for the last 6 months at the Harbour City, TST, and since the lesson time is around noon, I always let my 18 month old have a break and have something to eat and drink at Ruby Tuesday (TST) as it is nearby, and relatively kids' friendly.

I often take my maid with us as she can help with bringing the baby stuff, but she doesn't like pasta nor anything too meaty, so, after a few times ordering stuff from the adult menu, she asked that if she can have something off the kids' menu, and of course I didn’t object to that.

This happened for a few weeks, she happily order fries and chicken tender from the kids’ menu, and I never had any jibs from the staffs there. Last week, my pregnant wife came along too, and without being able to eat too much, she also ordered something from the kids' menu.

When the bill came, this elderly looking waiter commented that I shouldn't be ordering off the kids' menu, as they are for kids. I asked them if all my pregnant wife can have were just the chicken tender, what would he recommend. He said there is this platter option from the main menu which I can order, and I can order chicken tenders all by itself if my wife wants. She can order a plateful of them, which comes in 12 pieces.

I was dumb struck. And I said even if this table has food ordered from the kids menu and the bill is well above HKD$500, surely I haven't been abusing their service. And he added, that yes, the HKD$500-something is after discount with my membership card, which I paid to join.

Then he forgot to bring me my membership card back, and when I asked for it, the manager brought my card back. He asked if there have been some queries that his staff can't answer, and I repeated the story. He also reinforced that I can order the same stuff from the adult menu (but I don't see fries without cheese topping - the maid only wants plain fries, nor a small bit size meal of chicken tenders for a pregnant woman), and I asked if my weekly patronage isn't enough... and if it's company policy for adults not to order that, or have a minimum order, they should let customers know.

Basically, he offered zero help, and no explanation of why I cannot order from the kids’ menu, nor was I being given crap by his staff.

Needless to say, I won't be going back for a long long time, and will recommend all my friends (or people who know me) not to go there too.
    it seems your experience had more to do with a miscommunication.
    adults really shouldn't be ordering from the kids menu (if its specified for an age group) and the server should have told you this at the time of your ordering not when paying the bill.

why cross the road and go to Ruby Tuesdays when you could have gone to Dan Ryan's in HC....? Dan Ryans are much more kids friendly....

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    In the end the Manager was useless, he should have stepped in and defused the situation, its not like there was 12 adults all ordering from the kids menu
    What should he have done? Thrown in a couple of extra meal vouchers or something because the customer is always right? Or pointed out that the kid's menu is for kids?

BTW, looks like Dan Ryans also has the 12 year cutoff.
    Last edited by jgl; 19-11-2013 at 05:03 PM.

It is not a HK thing ....

Try ordering from the kids menu as an adult in a restaurant in France....them come back here and post.

It's not HK bad service. it's just bad service.

While we are at it, had an excellent service the other day at Chez Patrick Deli in Wan Chai. Really very good service, Two Thumbs up.

Cwbguy likes this.

Isn't a kid's menu more like preferential treatment for kids? Like a bar holding a ladies night and serving cheap drinks to women but requiring men to pay full price.

Original Post Deleted
    Unless there is a specific statement on the menu that says "children under the age of 12 cannot order from this menu" probably not. Thing is, according to the website menu, it says that you have to be under 12 to order from the kids menu.

Also, as you full well know its not about going to jail, as you will not have committed a criminal offence. There may be breach of contract though, and damages would have to be paid (or specific performance, depending on the circumstances).

Isn't Dans in HC closed ?

I'm not sure what the complaint is about... It seems the OP ordered and got the food from the kids menu and doesn't mention any overcharging. They only warned him that he shouldn't order from the kids menu presumably the next time he visits.

The restaurant just needs to indicate it clearly on the menu and not take the order in the first place. It's ridiculous to talk about discrimination... Whether a restaurant allows it or not is simply policy and it's no different than offering senior's discount. Frankly it sounds like a tempest in a teacup to make a big deal about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown_By_Nature:
    Isn't Dans in HC closed ?
    my bad, you are right....

Original Post Deleted
    So they should change the kids' menu to "kids and pregnant women and domestic helpers"?

Right. I can see that one flying.

Looks like the manager did explain policy so things would be clear next time. There's nothing to indicate that the manager was even rude, and certainly the OP wasn't magically charged more than what had been ordered.

Really don't see the big deal here, but then I am not the kind of person who would ever order food for an adult from the kids menu anyway. If I'm not hungry, I don't eat, get a drink, order a starter, or eat some of my partner's food. It's not the end of the world.

Some customers are worth keeping. Some are not. I'm not sure what the OP falls into, but doubt that many people will take his story all that seriously given the trivial nature of the complaint.
    Last edited by jgl; 19-11-2013 at 05:22 PM.
    shenwen, bibbju and Cwbguy like this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast