32 13.97%
  • A lot more

13 5.68%
Like Tree96Likes

How much do you tip at restaurants?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RachRobin:
    I can tell you for sure that staff don't see a cent of the 'service charge' you find on your bill, That goes straight to the company and basically covers their wage bill.
    Credit card tips usually get to the staff after the company takes a cut (where i used to work it was called an 'admin' cut) and all cash tips do go to staff.
    I think this policy is on a case to case basis. I use to cash tip regularly at the same restaurant and i think the owners got the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielandHayley:
    I don't really understand the logic of leaving a small/insignificant tip at a 'local' ie cheap restaurant and then at leaving large tips at expensive restaurants...
    The % is about the same though. Basically aiming to tip around 10% each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamton:
    The % is about the same though. Basically aiming to tip around 10% each time.
    are you referring to the 'service charge 10%' which gets added to the bill (which we know isnt a tip really) or what you leave additionally?

In a more expensive place, unless the service is exceptional, I am inclined to leave less, however in smaller, local places I tend to leave more...

Quote Originally Posted by DanielandHayley:
    are you referring to the 'service charge 10%' which gets added to the bill (which we know isnt a tip really) or what you leave additionally?

In a more expensive place, unless the service is exceptional, I am inclined to leave less, however in smaller, local places I tend to leave more...
    Well, both, but I generally leave a 10% tip on top of whatever the bill is.

So if it was a $100 cafe I'll leave $10-20, if it was a $400 meal I'll leave $40-50. Generally 10% as the benchmark, occasionally double that (though I'd be unlikely to leave a 20% tip on a $400 meal unless it was really special).

I tend not to give anything in the expensive restaurant but I do leave the coins at my favorite cheapies just cos I like the staff/owner and it feels like friend/family.

Never really understood the logic of tipping. I receive my salary every months, so do they, why should I give a tip?

They provide a service to me, so do I with my clients, and they never tip me..

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    I tend not to give anything in the expensive restaurant but I do leave the coins at my favorite cheapies just cos I like the staff/owner and it feels like friend/family.

Never really understood the logic of tipping. I receive my salary every months, so do they, why should I give a tip?

They provide a service to me, so do I with my clients, and they never tip me..
    You salary is substantially higher. That is the logic behind tipping wating staff.

So why stop at waiters? Why not tip the bus driver? Or the person who empties the rubbish bins in my apartment? Or the guy who comes round cleaning my office? Or any of the dozens of people who provide a service to me every day, all of whom earn less than I do?

tipping

I generally tip 10%, more if I really appreciated the service.
    Best!

is a strange concept when you think about it (and one i benefited from when working as a waiter as student!) but where do you draw the line...people I would [consider] tipping-

waiting staff
    hairdresser
    taxi driver
    the friendly lady who sells lager from a hut by my ferry pier
    pizza delivery person

If tipping can be eliminated completely from being a cultural norm, the world would be a simpler place to live in. But it's just one of those quirky things we do in life, so I take care of people who take care of me.

Wait staff
    Delivery
    Security/Concierge
    Taxi Drivers
    Masseuse

Ironically, I don't tip my GFs.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast