Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By kimwy66
  • 2 Post By Cwbguy
  • 3 Post By Cwbguy

Christmas drinks

Closed Thread

Christmas drinks

All time favourites? Mulled wine? After turkey drinks - brandy, Tia Maria, a nice drop of Bailey's in front of the open fire?

Husband always buys me a bottle of Baileys at Christmas. I wonder if it's too late after 13 years to tell him I don't really like Baileys...

I really like a drop of his single malt in front of an open fire though, especially if we have just come back from a nice wintery post-Christmas-lunch walk.

mrsgunsnroses and Natfixit like this.

Scotch with a dash of Cointreau.

Homemade lemoncello.

kimwy66-why not tell hubby that you are looking for a less calorific drink this year to keep yourself slim and elegeant for him, and would love to share his scotch?

Last edited by Cwbguy; 13-12-2013 at 08:23 AM.
    wtbhotia and kimwy66 like this.

Just tell the landlord if yer gonna have an open fire in the apartment! hehe

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Husband always buys me a bottle of Baileys at Christmas. I wonder if it's too late after 13 years to tell him I don't really like Baileys...

I really like a drop of his single malt in front of an open fire though, especially if we have just come back from a nice wintery post-Christmas-lunch walk.
    You would really enjoy some of the Japanese single malts I have been sampling whilst on holiday. Tried the super Nikka and also Nikka pure malt 17 yrs.

Cwguy, do you have a recipe for homemade limoncello? The commercial ones I have tried seem to be all too sweet. I like a bit of tartness.
    Last edited by Natfixit; 13-12-2013 at 02:44 PM.

Christmas drinks....mmmmnnn. Always starting with mulled wine, then champagne, then a bottle of one my " nice " wines, followed by a nip or double of single malt or Hennessy OX ( can't afford the Paradis) cognac. Oban would have to be my choice or a Yamazaki. Hubby prefers the laphroaig or talisker.

I don't do this " Buck's Fizz" or baileys, or sweet n creamy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:

Cwguy, do you have a recipe for homemade limoncello? The commercial ones I have tried seem to be all too sweet. I like a bit of tartness.
    The commercial ones are way too sweet. I like to keep it simple. Take a glass jar, pour in a litre of Finlandia vodka and add the peel, as little pith as possible, of around 10 lemons, or 6/7 oranges, and leave for a minimum one week, shake daily.

Make a simple syrup, 1 cup water to one cup sugar. Cool, add and taste. Keep adding syrup till you have the tartness you want. 1.5 cups is still quite tart, 2 cups getting sweet, but still a lot less sweet than commercial. Poor back into Finlandia bottles, or your own arty ones.

Put in freezer, enjoy.

Great adding to a dry martini or gin and tonic, and over vanilla ice cream.

This batch is to be bottled Sun.
    catandre, kimwy66 and Natfixit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    The commercial ones are way too sweet. I like to keep it simple. Take a glass jar, pour in a litre of Finlandia vodka and add the peel, as little pith as possible, of around 10 lemons, or 6/7 oranges, and leave for a minimum one week, shake daily.

Make a simple syrup, 1 cup water to one cup sugar. Cool, add and taste. Keep adding syrup till you have the tartness you want. 1.5 cups is still quite tart, 2 cups getting sweet, but still a lot less sweet than commercial. Poor back into Finlandia bottles, or your own arty ones.

Put in freezer, enjoy.

Great adding to a dry martini or gin and tonic, and over vanilla ice cream.

This batch is to be bottled Sun.
    Thank you. I try to infuse my own vodkas but never have tried something to resemble a liqueur. Lol, the icecream mention as a topping reminds me of when I was a small kid in the 70s when my grandmum used to pour over creme de menthe or kirsch over vanilla icecream....and tell me not to tell my mum. I never did, of course. And no, I did not grow up brain damaged by consuming alcohol at a young age. Guess it was soaked up by all that food.
    Last edited by Natfixit; 13-12-2013 at 09:30 PM.