Like Tree11Likes

Healthy Eating Options for 2014

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

In your quest for healthiness I would recommend avoiding ever Googling food before you eat it.

It seems that an hour on Google can work certain people into a frenzy to the extent that you'll assume everything is likely to kill you.

But anyway, I would second just salad. Tasty food including their wraps which are massive and full of greens.

Can't tell if grunt was being sarcastic when he recommended ebeneezers.

Last edited by justjoe86; 21-05-2014 at 03:01 PM.

My missus have started to make bircher muesli and I am hooked on to it, oh so tasty and healthy too for breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikec75:
    There is a relatively new little cafe called Locali on Stone Nullah Lane in Wanchai. I go there for lunch or take away a few times a week - healthy salads, gluten free (I think) sandwiches etc., and a nice spot to sit and eat and watch the happenings of the street. They also have an eclectic soundtrack playing including The Pixies most days. I would like to see them do well (for selfish reasons as it's right by my apartment) so please give it a try!
    Speaking as I have been vegetarian since I was a kid, and vegan also, while I do like raw salads etc...I have tried Lokali and other raw vegetarian places only to find that it cleanses my insides in a not so pleasant manner.

From what I've seen in HK, the process in which people prepare food is not exactly hygienic. Why wear gloves if you still wear them to pick up food off the floor and go back to preparing food wearing the same gloves! Vegetables are not washed thoroughly, only given a sprinkle of water and a shake. I make raw salad dishes at home, but wash my hands first in soap and water, then wash the veg. None of us have been ill from poor hygiene, yet from eating at home.

All the same, I make homemade coleslaw which is the only way to get my carnivore husband to eat cabbage. For dressing, I roast up some garlic after which is crushed, add a liberal spoonful of German mustard ( the Barvarian variety with some bite as the really sharp stuff makes it taste bitter ) with Aoli.
    Last edited by Natfixit; 21-05-2014 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    My missus have started to make bircher muesli and I am hooked on to it, oh so tasty and healthy too for breakfast.
    Could she share recipe?

Have it in hotels on holiday, but been disastrous at making it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    Could she share recipe?

Have it in hotels on holiday, but been disastrous at making it.
    I have told her, she'd be along to tell you the recipe.
    elle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    I have told her, she'd be along to tell you the recipe.
    Yes please, love that stuff too

RF1 Sozai in City Super in IFC--will be opening at Times Square soon. This takeout salad shop is super popular in Japan, where they list out calories and main ingredients. My favorites are the 30 item salad and the one that has yuba (tofu skin) and small white fish (chirimen) with mizuna (a tasty Japanese green). Here is a link to their Japanese site with pictures. http://www.rf-one.com/menu_list/salad/

http://www.ipcfoodlab.com/

ipc foodlab is a quality place, freshness, sustainability and environmental awareness, I went to the fanling branch that grows some of the food on the roof of their bizarre located industrial estate, there is on in caine rd, mid levels, it's also a places recommended for the ladies (a lot of vegetable option, but not really a vegetarian restaurant)

Quote Originally Posted by elle:
    Yes please, love that stuff too
    actually i just looked up a few recipes online to know how to make it and then made my own mix so i don't really have any proper recipe. some like it heavier, creamier and sweeter, others less... we like it more light. so what i do is:

for around 6 servings:
    take a big bowl, pour about two cups of rolled oats and two cups of instant oats in it. then you can add raisins and nuts as well if you prefer them soaked, or you add them only later when you are about to eat it. now you add approx. 1/3 apple juice, 1/3 milk, 1/3 water until the muesli is entirely covered in liquid with a small liquid layer. cover and let it soak overnight in the fridge. in the morning you generously add yoghurt (greek or normal, any one works), can be well half or more than a yoghurt cup (the 500ml ones) and mix everything up until you have your desired consistency. adding grated apple into the mixture adds some crispiness and freshness to the dish if you want. DONE!

then you can serve and add as per your liking or just eat as is:

- honey
    - chopped almonds
    - dried apricots
    - sunflower seeds
    - pumpkin seeds
    - dried plums
    - raisins
    - fresh fruits
    etc etc.

In fact you need to find out what is ur best mix. more apple juice for more sweetness, more milk and no or less water to make it heavier.... you can also buy unsweetened cereal which has a mix of grains etc, and add this together with the oats, i am doing this as well sometimes. try it out, and find your own special mix! its really easy to make!! :-)) It lasts for good 5 days in the fridge!

Though this is not a proper recipe, i hope i could help.
    Last edited by mrsgunsnroses; 28-05-2014 at 08:59 AM.
    gunsnroses and Tom007 like this.

oh and just fyi, many recipes are super heavy and high in calories, because they use only full fat milk and full fat yoghurt.... then where is the health factor?? believe me, because you are adding the yoghurt later anyways, that already gives a lot and enough of creamieness, no need to use only full fat milk for the soaking. find out yourself and see.... :-)

Last edited by mrsgunsnroses; 28-05-2014 at 09:01 AM.
    gunsnroses likes this.