Like Tree3Likes

lettuce lovers

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

lettuce lovers

A shop just opened up called Farm Direct that sells mostly lettuce and salad stuff! They have a bunch of different kinds of lettuce and some salad dressings and vegetables like bell peppers and potatoes.

I'm not much of a lettuce eater myself, but I think the shop is cute, and everything looks very fresh. It's on Lockhart, by the Time Square Bridge (Ngo Geng Kiu). So if you're a salad enthusiast, check it out.

You mean this place?: https://www.facebook.com/farmdirecthk

Lettuce looks nice. But I wouldn't waste my money on the dressings, so easy to make yourself and much nicer fresh.

Wonder what they are charging for a lettuce. It was crazy prices that led me to start growing my own on our rooftop. Everything is growing well now, but it is tricky in summer when the rain starts and sunshine hours are low.

Yeah, it is that place. Not sure on the prices, though.
    You grow your own? That's really sweet! I've always wanted to grow my own herbs at least. Whenever I buy herbs, I can't use them all and half goes bad. What a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    You mean this place?: https://www.facebook.com/farmdirecthk

Lettuce looks nice. But I wouldn't waste my money on the dressings, so easy to make yourself and much nicer fresh.

Wonder what they are charging for a lettuce. It was crazy prices that led me to start growing my own on our rooftop. Everything is growing well now, but it is tricky in summer when the rain starts and sunshine hours are low.
    Do you use a 'growbag' or pots? What varieties of lettuce do you grow? How long between seeding them and eating?

Thanks

there is a new shop opened in Central wet market, they have lot of different kind of fresh lettuce/veggie/herbs too. And the price is very reasonable.

I use long window box pots with compost from a garden centre in Sai Kung (also available in Mong Kok). Key is plenty of fertiliser so they grow quickly as they can be bitter when growing too slow. I use slow release pellets, blood and bone and a twice-weekly liquid feed. All from Mong Kok flower market.

I use a salad lettuce seed mix by Yates and pick as baby leaves. 4-6 weeks from sowing for first harvest. I grow 3 pots at a time of lettuce

I don't have a photo of the lettuces with me, but here is a shot of my herbs grown in same size container as the lettuces taken last week. Parsley and mint have gone a bit nuts, but there is also Oregano and chives in there. I use these pots because I can bring them down to the balcony when they are ready, put them in the wire basket and just walk out and pick them. :

drumbrake likes this.

Why would you be posting about a "lettuce shop" with veggies? In Central there are a handful of places selling fresh, organic, delicious lettuce, and, surprisingly, since they are veggie shops, they sell other vegetables, too, like tomatoes, carrots, (local) eggplants. There is even an organic stall in the Sai Ying Pun wet market. It hardly seems news to me to find out about a shop that sells lettuce, as it's one of the easiest things to find in HK. Did you know there is an organic, local farmers market at the Star Ferry Pier on Sundays? Plenty of lettuce there, too.
    As for dressing: just get good olive oil, and you can mix that with a little bit of fresh lemon juice (there are lots of fruit stands that sell lemons in HK!) or balsamic vinegar, salt + pepper, + fresh or dried herbs. Hardly any need for the extra, mysterious calories in some pre-made dressing. Give it a try!
    Kimwy, I envy your parsley!

Thanks! It was a bit meh to start but I got a fresh batch of seeds and now it grows like crazy. Have just stripped that plant and frozen the leaves in rolls because it doesn't seem to like hong kong summers

Elegiaque likes this.

You could make some awesome tabbouleh with that parsley.

"Why would you be posting about a "lettuce shop" with veggies? In Central there are a handful of places selling fresh, organic, delicious lettuce, and, surprisingly, since they are veggie shops, they sell other vegetables, too, like tomatoes, carrots, (local) eggplants. There is even an organic stall in the Sai Ying Pun wet market. It hardly seems news to me to find out about a shop that sells lettuce, as it's one of the easiest things to find in HK. Did you know there is an organic, local farmers market at the Star Ferry Pier on Sundays? Plenty of lettuce there, too."

I call it a lettuce shop because it really is lettuce-centric! It has shelves of lettuce but only a couple other kinds of veggies, and not very many of them, just the kind that would go with salads.

And I'm sure there are lots of other places. But I don't really go to Central to go grocery shopping. I like to hear about new places in my area, and figured others might as well. Since it's a little off the beaten path unless you're looking for spicy crab (but still not too far off), I figured maybe not everyone would know about it. That's all!

MarthaK likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast