Like Tree4Likes

Sichuan food in hong kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

By the way, on Tung St. in Sheung Wan (between Hollywood Rd. and Lok Ku Rd.) there is a spice shop that has every imaginable spice for pretty good prices. They sell the red and the green Sichuan peppercorns. Still haven't figured out how to cook something good with them!

Clean no nonsense good value and authentic based on my first visit over the weekend.

Gourmet Xpress - http://4sq.com/15fPDrC
    G/f, 24 Gilman's Bazaar, Central, Central, HK

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    By the way, on Tung St. in Sheung Wan (between Hollywood Rd. and Lok Ku Rd.) there is a spice shop that has every imaginable spice for pretty good prices. They sell the red and the green Sichuan peppercorns. Still haven't figured out how to cook something good with them!
    Green peppercorns go with lighter coloured meat such as pork and chicken. Red peppercorns with eggplant, beef, sundried tomatoes and palm sugar and shallots. Google recipes for these and see what you find. Onions and garlic always for extra punch.

Plus a nice extra spicy Oz Shiraz or GSM or French Syrah with good body and depth , or Spanish Rioja Tempranillo with a bit of mazuelo and graciano to match. White wines, try an Italian Arneis, Spanish rose ( muga or Sonsierra is always great.) or Australia semillon Chardonnay blend from Western Australia or NSW hunter valley region. Even Greek or Cypriot reds can handle the heat, and Turkey or Lebanon for whites.

Too cool off, a nice Pele Island Canadian eiswein. I know it's almost as sinful as adultery, but take the eiswein from the dry cold fridge. Best to have kept a drained tin of lychees with three shots of decent vodka plain in the freezer the night before. Wizz the lychee mix and eiswein in blender till thick and pour into martini glasses. Makes a nice refreshing dessert. Add some candied chilled lemon peel for extra zing as garnish.
    Last edited by Natfixit; 18-02-2014 at 08:17 PM.

Some good recommendations here! Nice cool night tomorrow to have some super spicy food.

Sichuan pepper corns (which are technically not pepper) are brown with a red tint. Chinese name is 花椒 / hua jiao.

Lately I see quite a few small places with the 川 in it. Haven't tried any though in HK due to some disappointments. Maybe it's time to try again (ok, was in one in Soho called Chongqing I think (which is not in Sichuan) and it was quite ok (30% authentic, quite good for hk)

May's Spicy Kitchen 肥姐麻辣館
    http://www.openrice.com/english/rest...4&region=0&s=3

I was a big fan of Qi in Wanchai but the quality seems to be declining

You can check out Yun Yan in Times Square. It's part of the Mira Dining group so you can get 20% off if you're a member.

the hutong people seem to have a sichuan restaurant at hysan place in CWB?

I don't know if its good but anything related to hutong should demand quite the price point.

my fav sichuan place would have to be the street food vendor in hung hom

im a big fan of da ping huo in central, it's a hidden little spot right of hollywood road - and the owner sings in the middle of the meal! very spicy tho, so not for 'tourists'