Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Gruntfuttock
  • 1 Post By Gruntfuttock

Favourite craft beer?

Closed Thread

Favourite craft beer?

As a beer festival is coming up, we thought it might be good time to ask what everyone's favourite craft beer is. So... what's your poison?

By the way, is anyone curious about the difference between craft beer and regular beer?

Maybe our Q&A session with Rohit Dugar, the founder and mastermind behind local brewery, Young Master Ales, can help you...

Last edited by Editor; 21-02-2014 at 05:45 PM.

I'm very old-fashioned about my beer, and most of the stuff called "craft beer" isn't beer at all by my definition. Unfortunately the word has been hijacked to cover all sorts of concoctions but in the same way that "elderflower wine" isn't wine, "green tea flavour beer" isn't beer. The word "alcopop" was around some years ago as a sort of catch all for flavoured alcoholic drinks and I think that covers quite a lot of these flavoured drinks that are now being sold as beers and should be what they are called.

As for my favourite beer, it would certainly have to be a proper English ale, hand-pulled, not this horrible fizzy keg stuff. Hong Kong's beer scene was much improved when the now closed and much lamented Typhoon Brewery was around and producing proper ales. To be honest, they weren't the best ales I'd ever had, but they were streets ahead of anything masquerading as beer with green tea flavour. And they were served at more or less the correct temperature too.

It would be great news indeed if Mr Dugar were able to progress from his current kiddy drinks and produce some of the real thing.

East_coast and Natfixit like this.

The question is a tough one. If a craft beer becomes popular because it is great and the brewer gets its marketing and sales into gear does it stop becoming a craft beer?

It is annoying that most bars and hotels in Hong Kong have the usual 'cooking beer' plus a Stella or an Asahi.

Part of the interest of craft beers is sampling and not settling. City Super usually have a reasonable selection. But a few more guest ales in the pubs would be welcome by a small minority.

Last edited by East_coast; 21-02-2014 at 11:00 PM.

One of my favourite brewers at the moment are Brewdog from Scotland, although I'm not sure they have reached Hong Kong yet?

Yes - you can find them at The Globe and the Cannyman from time to time. Not sure if either has any at the moment.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 22-02-2014 at 12:00 PM.
    Seagulls! likes this.

Trappistes Rochefort 10 but currently into Anderson Valley Brother David's Triple.

75 dollars for just over a pint in one of the 'bars' linked in that article?

No thanks

$75 for well under a (British) pint at one of them. I'm with you - the pricing doesn't work for me when I can get ale shipped from the UK at $36 per (British) pint at places like the Blue Goose.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    $75 for well under a (British) pint at one of them. I'm with you - the pricing doesn't work for me when I can get ale shipped from the UK at $36 per (British) pint at places like the Blue Goose.
    You are correct. I was looking at the US pint. 75 dollars for less than a pint of what is in effect an unproven home brew is criminal, even for HK.