Like Tree5Likes

Any soft serve / frozen yogurt places?

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

frozen yogurt fact

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    I like the slightly sour taste of natural yoghurt. It's a shame that these frozen yoghurts are so sickeningly sweet that you can't taste the yoghurt... in my experience at least.
    good observation about tasting the yogurt.

the truth about frozen yogurt is that it's NOT really healthy. It's not really 100% yogurt. To make it taste good, like dessert, a huge amount of sugar is added and the actual % of real yogurt in a froyo is questionable. It's more transparent in the US so I am aware that some frozen yogurt includes only 15 - 30% real yogurt and the rest is cream and sugar (basically ice cream). an article in a chinese magazine exposed all of this a few months ago, and it featured crumbs, yomama and another one I forget. basically saying that these shops are using deceptive advertising.

in the US, the govt bodies limit what frozen yogurt shops can claim and limit the ingredients that can qualify as frozen yogurt. in HK, there is no one protecting the public so most of them lie and talk about how healthy froyo is when most it has only 20% or even less of real yogurt. but I guess it's better than nothing!

And your point is????

Some ppl like frozen yogurt because of the taste and some prefer 'normal' icecream. The level of consumption is all down to how much willpower you have and how much you want to consume.

If you really want 'healthy' frozen yogurt, then buy an icecream maker and you can buy the culture starter in a more upmarket store such as Great, and make your own. Unfortunately, my freeze is too small for my icecream maker, but if it as possible, I'd be making it at home. Sorted.

yet another Hong Kong frozen yogurt update for 2012

And yet after re-visiting yogurts shops I talked about earlier, there's a further update for the post-summer 2012:

Best Berry still has its one location left
    Crumbs closed yet another location in TST
    Tutti Frutti closed all of its Hong Kong Island locations in Hang Fa Chuen and Chai Wan
    Berrygood finally all gone, closed its TST location recently
    Holly Cow completely closed everything. All three locations came and died within just about year
    Yoshi Yogurt had four locations. All of them closed recently.

Smaller chains, including WaffleYo lasted a year, but seems that Red Mango and Hey Yo chains are growing though slowly.

Lots of Groupons available these days.

Quote Originally Posted by educator:
    As an update to my earlier 2011 post about the yogurt shops...

All yogurt shops have stopped opening/expanding.

Best Berry still has its one I-square location.

Crumbs moved its Causeway Bay Location, closed one, opened another. Not much growth.

Funky closed (actually it changed ownership, remodeled and then closed again. sad!)

Yogurtime ALL closed, including the original Central location.

Tutti frutti seems to be closing locations, recently closed it's Hong Kong Island East shop.

Berrygood, ALL closed except for TST.

Particular regions also have seen a lot of closures, such as Sham Shui Po and Tsuen Wan. Not a good sign.

Some smaller shops, such as WaffleYo, Red Mango, etc, have opened recently, but haven't tried them. Would love to try, but most everyone is on Groupon so I'm waiting for a CHEAP or FREE yogurt.
    HowardCoombs likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6