Like Tree22Likes

Best places for Fishnchips

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best places for Fishnchips

Craving some fishnchips UK style. Any suggestions? I saw an article about SeaSalt and Hooked, both in midlevels and antipodean. Any others?

I haven't tried those but for low-brow honest to goodness, go to Sai Kung. I can't remember its name (i'll find out later) but it isn't bad. I'm a bit of a fish and chips connoisseur, given that I'm from the north east of England :-D

Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles:
    I haven't tried those but for low-brow honest to goodness, go to Sai Kung. I can't remember its name (i'll find out later) but it isn't bad. I'm a bit of a fish and chips connoisseur, given that I'm from the north east of England :-D

There are two fish n chip shops in Sai Kung, Camden Town on the water front and the Chip In ( no double n that's how it is spelt on the shop front sign and on its biz cards) located in post office lane....
    As a *****, the world champions of fish n chip shops in Australia, I tried Camden town, and never returned. The Chip In is o.k, does the job but to be honest it isn't anything like I would expect from my fellow **** in Williamstown, which is always my first stop after touch down at Melbourne, or Essendon Airport. One thing I really do miss ! I appreciate it being there though, as it is close enough and better than nothing !

I have heard about Sea Salt, they're Australian if I am not mistaken, but unless they have Flake ( a variety of shark ) on the order board, it aint fair dinkum Australian unless it does. The Australian journalist who told me about it said it was pretty good, so its probably about on a par with The Chippy, who closed down a little while ago. Not sure if the Chippy managed to find a new location to operate from, or if they just gave up, thanks to HK's impossibly high rents on businesses like this.

So to explain what I actually mean, ordering Fish n Chips in HK is basically like what you would get served at a pub, or whats listed on a childrens menu at a club.... You're not going to get butchers paper wrapped, or newspaper wrapped, deep fried potato goodness with potato cakes, dim sims, large pickled onions, chicko rolls, calamari rings, battered scollops, battered flake/snapper/flathead/john dory etc etc etc.

Just a standard deep fried fish and chips you would get from any pub.
    Last edited by GeoSteve; 28-04-2014 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Sorry, that term is an ethnic slur to large percentage of people. Lets keep it to fish n chips

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    There are two fish n chip shops in Sai Kung, Camden Town on the water front and the Chip In ( no double n that's how it is spelt on the shop front sign and on its biz cards) located in post office lane....
    As a WOG, the world champions of fish n chip shops in Australia, I tried Camden town, and never returned. The Chip In is o.k, does the job but to be honest it isn't anything like I would get from my fellow wogs in Williamstown, which is always my first stop after touch down at Melbourne, or Essendon Airport. One thing I really do miss !

I have heard about Sea Salt, they're Australian if I am not mistaken, but unless they have Flake ( a variety of shark ) on the order board, it aint fair dinkum Australian unless it does.
    Pfft Aussie fish n chips. You haven't lived til you have sat on the 'beach' at Scarborough and eaten fish n chips out of a polystyrene dish in a force 9 straight off the north sea.

Edit:forgot the Curry sauce
    Last edited by kimwy66; 27-04-2014 at 05:53 PM.

Australian cuisine such an oxymoron

Considering my cousin owned a fish and chip shop in the mall in Myer House that used to have a queue 30 deep every lunch time for 2 decades and was voted as having the best chips in Melbs CBD up until he retired. I reckon I know enough about it to compare. Have had fish n chips in various parts of the UK, including Scotland, and even a couple in Calais France... They're pretty good but I prefer battered flake, and feel pretty let down if it doesnt have it.

Mind you the worst fish n chips will be found in Queensland, farkin hopeless, so will admit that in my opinion, Victoria is the undefeated best state at Fish N chips. The other states just dont have enough Greeks, Lebo's, or Italians to provide that special something that Anglo Aussies dont have. Sorry but it is true.

You need a Melbourne person, or lately, a Melbourne raised Vietnamese manning the fryers, if you want the authentic chip shop experience. My opinion of course, but we used to own that take away food industry in Melbourne, until the Asians stepped in to take our take away food crown.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Considering my cousin owned a fish and chip shop in the mall in Myer House that used to have a queue 30 deep every lunch time for 2 decades and was voted as having the best chips in Melbs CBD up until he retired
    He wasn't there in 86 was he? would have the most amazing fish n chips in CBD.

Anyhow, I've tried hooked (it's run by a kiwi fella) and the fush n chups are pretty spot on there

Sent from my Q10 using GeoClicks mobile app

olliereid likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    He wasn't there in 86 was he? would have the most amazing fish n chips in CBD.
    Yep it was operating at its peak during the 80's. I know the process they used that made their chips such a HUGE hit, they also sold roast chickens, roast potatoes and peas etc

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast