Like Tree4Likes

7 Eleven's - Why are some of them dry?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Oh. I thought condoms are widely available in every University's menroom, no?

I'm almost certain that the dry 7-11s are due to MTR stations. I've run across dry stores at dozens of stations.

I've also gotten pretty good at sniffing out a nearby store that does sell. You are usually only a 10 minute walk away if you know where you're going.

Interesting ban? Must not want people hanging around the train stations drinking beer? Or maybe they are afraid more people would grab a roady for the train? Or maybe it's a financial thing?

Is HKUST still dry as a campus?

From the MTR Code of Conduct:

"The Company prohibits the illegal / unauthorised provision, possession or abuse of drugs and alcohol in the workplace. Possession, use, distribution or sale of alcoholic beverages on Company premises is not allowed without prior approval of the appropriate senior management (Department Head and above)."

While this may be aimed primarily at MTR employees, it could give them justification for banning franchisees (7/11) from selling alcohol in the stations as well...

I also think that the MTR station prohibition only started a few years back. I seem to remember buying tall boys (large beers) at the stations 5 or 6 years ago....but not anymore.

I wonder if too many people were grabbing beers and taking them on the train? Or if poor people were hanging out at train stations and drinking? Seems very strange to me.

Or perhaps the train station were taking away sales from nearby liquor stores and they were forced to stop selling? Some legal reason perhaps.

Certainly not the Star Ferry where they practically shove alcohol in your face for the ride...

Looking like some sort of MTR rule. Not sure the absence of shelf of beer prevents MTR drunkenness, just prevents people having a cold one on a hot Sunday afternoon when exiting the station.

Quote Originally Posted by Ern:
    Looking like some sort of MTR rule. Not sure the absence of shelf of beer prevents MTR drunkenness, just prevents people having a cold one on a hot Sunday afternoon when exiting the station.
    Meaning you have to walk the extra 50m to the next 7/11 / Circle K / mom n pop to get one...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by anothercanuck:
    Meaning you have to walk the extra 50m to the next 7/11 / Circle K / mom n pop to get one...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using GeoClicks mobile app

Granted, that's quite often the case, but the Kowloon Tong station/Festival Walk area is a veritable desert!

Other than the obvious Taste, you have a point in that instance...

Hawkers used to walk through the old KCR trains selling beer and snacks. They had the right idea in those days.