Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Natfixit
  • 2 Post By Natfixit
  • 1 Post By Chromis

Where to buy Japanese Wine?

Closed Thread

Where to buy Japanese Wine?

Anyone know where Japanese wine is sold? I'm specifically looking for this one TAKAHATA JAPANESQUE BAILEY'S BLEND 2012. Just had it in Singapore and forgot to look for a bottle to bring back.

thanks!!

Sogo, Jusco, Citysuper?

Quote Originally Posted by lingc:
    Anyone know where Japanese wine is sold? I'm specifically looking for this one TAKAHATA JAPANESQUE BAILEY'S BLEND 2012. Just had it in Singapore and forgot to look for a bottle to bring back.

thanks!!
    You mean, Bailey a, pronounced ' Barley Aahhh', which is a grape unique to Japan. I love Japanese wine and three weeks ago, came back to HK with a suitcase overloaded with top wines. 29.5 kgs and about 8 bottles. Blend is probably with cab sauv or/and merlot which is popular grape grown and consumed. I never really liked merlot until I tried Japanese Merlot which can be really rich without the Cloying. Grace Vineyards, St Coursair for starters. JIP wine bar and brasserie, which has its own Japanese only wine store on site in Shinjuku, and the supervisor knows her jap wines inside out. She also speaks English very well.

Unfortunately, I haven't managed to find such in Hk, however, you could google the name and in the same search line, Hong Kong Suppliers. Or contact the vintner directly ( difficult, I know, been there done that, can understand some Jap lingo in the western characters but not the actual characters) and ask if they ship or have a distributer in HK, the wine you mention is a very good wine, and 2012 was THE optimum year ( as was also in south Australia and Victoria). The grape variety is to be drunk young within two to four years, and matches well with teppanaki, yakatori, octopus, scallops, vegetable and seafood tempura, and typical Izakaya food. If you want to know when you are next in Japan whereto look for wines, let me know as I have tasted, sakes and wines and whiskeys galore since 2013.
    Last edited by Natfixit; 07-04-2015 at 09:29 PM.
    lingc likes this.

Wow! Thanks so much. I just had the glass in SG and I forgot to look for it while I was there. Yes it was that lovely of a glass that I figured I will try to track it down in HK.

Rakuten

Have you tried Apita in Taikoo? Jusco is also nearby to try both at the same time.

I popped into 759 store in Wan Chai, Hennessy Rd and saw a good range of Japanese wine, mainly from Hokkaido. Reds, whites, roses and sparkling. Unfortunately, not the one you are looking for OP, but a few well worth trying.

rani and lingc like this.

Thanks everyone! Will give them a go.

There's one place in Shau Kei Wan Main Street East (I forget the name, but it's near the very end of the street) that sells just Japanese Liquors. You can try them? Next time I walk by I could get the name / exact address. Googling may turn something up!

lingc likes this.