Like Tree13Likes

Nespresso Compatible Capsules-update.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Just so we don't all email the folks at Coffee Roasters, here's a response I got from them this morning:

our coffee capsule packaging of 300 is based on customer requests in the office and light commercial market. It's a great value for customers who buy in bulk. Really sorry we do have sell in retail packs.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    Just so we don't all email the folks at Coffee Roasters, here's a response I got from them this morning:
    Typical Hong Kong response...so, nothing new there !

I think this might depend on the native origin of where you purchase these capsules and the expectation of the typical customer as to the strength of the coffee made available. Not sure about the UK, but I'd imagine it would be typically weaker in strength to say what is usually sold/consumed in Holland, Belgium, France and Italy etc.

We travel to France/Italy often enough to warrant purchasing 35 - 50 assorted packs each time we visit, ( priced between 3 to 4 Euro per pack ) and I have found that all of the brands I placed in the attached photo, are totally fine and enjoyable to drink. I usually drink ( strong/intense ) espresso/ristretto shots, so I am totally with @100LL on this one.

I understand that like a lot of things in life, we all have preferences, coffee is no exception. A lot is going to depend on what you're usually used to back home and in my opinion, it might be a good idea to purchase a stack of capsules each time you visit family back home etc.

Another idea, you could get family abroad to post you a goody box from time to time, that contains some comfort foods ie coffee capsules etc That's always nice when they do that .
    Last edited by Skyhook; 26-10-2015 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    I recommended these capsules on the basis that I have bought extremely good freshly roasted beans from them in the past at a decent price.

I spoke to Ben at CR who says the same coffee goes in the capsules.

Another thing going for them that I did not know at the time was the capsules come in foil sealed packs of 3. They should last a long time.

For $2.50 vs $5+ Nespresso I think they are worth a look.

I tried those Mordicus - Capsules Espresso No11 Carte Noire French Grocery - Le coût ne fait pas le goût! from France not as good as Nespresso but close enough.

Market place in gold coast sell some coffe pod from UK at less than 4 hkd per pc but even the number 10 strengh taste really weak.

Quote Originally Posted by AGxM:
    Oh dear....this thread has got me looking at a new machine....anyone got the new UMilk?
    Yeah i have it. Actually I opted for the stand alone machine with the milk frother instead of the bundled version. I seldom use the milk frother. I like its slim design and the off white color. Saves space in the kitchen. And in hindsight, i should have bought the cheapest one.

Anyone who is interested in cheaper capsules. I have found and ordered on groupon hk website (still available as of today) coffee capsules for nespresso machine. The brand is Gourmesso, not sure if it is good but I got 12boxes (10 caps/box) for HKD360. That equals to HKD3 per capsule.

I bought some but haven't tried it yet. Fingers crossed that it won't taste horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by AGxM:
    Oh dear....this thread has got me looking at a new machine....anyone got the new UMilk?
    Quoting myself, but Robert was right there is no additional benefit to getting a new machine, so got the frother at 20% off instead delivered the next day. I've got the Pixie so overall footprint still fairly small even with the Aeroccino.

Quote Originally Posted by cjt:
    Anyone who is interested in cheaper capsules. I have found and ordered on groupon hk website (still available as of today) coffee capsules for nespresso machine. The brand is Gourmesso, not sure if it is good but I got 12boxes (10 caps/box) for HKD360. That equals to HKD3 per capsule.

I bought some but haven't tried it yet. Fingers crossed that it won't taste horrible.
    I tried Gourmesso in Europe, didn't like any of them :/ Also didn't like the packaging (two capsules in a sealed bag).

I found a shop in TST near the large Tom Lee that sells Nespresso compatible capsules, a 10 pack was $38 and they had an 80pc pack for $260 I think. The shop was called EUnique, they sold a bunch of other european products, but the shop was very small.

hongkong7 and TheBrit like this.

Just to chime in: based on this thread, I bit the bullet and forked out for Coffee Roasters Asia's 300 espresso capsules - they're incredible, easily the best coffee I've ever had in a Nespresso machine, and a bargain at just HK$2.50 a cap. Gonna try their Indonesian stuff next time.

hongkong7 and East_coast like this.