Like Tree6Likes

Best Ice cream in Central...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I now want me some gelato.

shri likes this.

Very excited about Grom. I have only heard great things about its other locations. Hopefully it will be a great addition to Emack and Venchi!

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Is ice-cream in HK safe? I tend to avoid it as I know HK has a terrible reputation for freezer management (our local supermarket regularly seems to let things defrost) and ice-cream is very high on the list of things you can get food poisoning from. I would trust "bad" ice-cream (i.e. the type full chemicals and preservatives) over "good" ice-cream made from milk and eggs any day....!
    I had the same question about sushi. Raw fish in the tropics? Seems questionable.

As for whether ice cream is safe in HK, yes of course. Lab Made is made fresh with liquid nitrogen. They have locations in TST or Tai Hang.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Is ice-cream in HK safe? I tend to avoid it as I know HK has a terrible reputation for freezer management (our local supermarket regularly seems to let things defrost) and ice-cream is very high on the list of things you can get food poisoning from. I would trust "bad" ice-cream (i.e. the type full chemicals and preservatives) over "good" ice-cream made from milk and eggs any day....!
    I eat a ton of ice cream. and really, pretty much any and all frozen desserts. i haven't had any problems.

i mean, since my arrival in HK 2+ years ago, I did get food poisoning once. I'm pretty sure that was from a western pizza place in TST, possibly from their bruschetta. to be fair, i had had a frozen dessert that night as well.

but i doubt a week's gone by where i haven't had any frozen desserts, and come summer it's several per day, all up-and-down the price & quality scale. to be sure, there are times in Feb/March where you look at the popsicles in the supermarket freezer section and you know they've been there since September, so I stay away from those.
    Beardan likes this.

I like XTC. Or I make my own. Have a nifty ice-cream maker. Last time was white choc honeycomb.

Skyhook likes this.

If we are talking store bought then I am all about the NZ Naturals Hokey Pokey and the Mövenpick chocolate. Wife likes the Mövenpick vanilla.

Skyhook likes this.

This coffee shop in Causeway Bay is worth a try for their coffee and ice creams

Mobile Softee truck at the ferry pier

xtc is ok.

I remember liking the ice cream sold at the Godiva shop

That Grom place is opened in IFC, haven't given them a whirl yet though.