Like Tree7Likes

Decent Quality Meat

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Decent Quality Meat

I've been in HK for 6 months now, and haven't found a chinese or Indian restaurant that serves what I consider to be edible meat. Are there any that actually serve chicken breast meat in curries or rice/noodle dishes? Do locals and expats actually prefer chewing gristle and undefined pieces of connective tissue? Decent quality meat doesn't seem to be massively expensive in Markets, so why doesn't anyone serve it?

Because chicken breast tends to be the blandest part of the chicken that's why.

What places are you going to?

If i go to Chungking for a curry for example I'm not expecting chicken breast, it'll be leg or thigh, which to me is preferable.

Lower your standards or increase your budget is the advice I'd give for fussy eaters in HK

Part of the fun is spitting out the bits of bone.

Welcome to HK!

jimbo and spode like this.

I'm not a fussy eater, and budget isn't my concern. I've eaten out pretty much every night for 6 months, all kinds of food in all kinds of places from Chung King to the Shangri La. I just miss the UK style Chinese and Indian food where decent cuts of meat are used. I don't personally find chicken breast bland, just tasty. Maybe it's just not done here. I was just wondering if any expats had any helpful thoughts, I know how to spit bones, have had plenty of practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tagbarrett:
    I'm not a fussy eater, and budget isn't my concern. I've eaten out pretty much every night for 6 months, all kinds of food in all kinds of places from Chung King to the Shangri La. I just miss the UK style Chinese and Indian food where decent cuts of meat are used. I don't personally find chicken breast bland, just tasty. Maybe it's just not done here. I was just wondering if any expats had any helpful thoughts, I know how to spit bones, have had plenty of practice.
    Eat at home, or choose lamb dishes in decent restaurants. As long as you are familiar with lamb and can differentiate it from other 4-legged animals that is

Brisket is great in stews/curries! (Though I am saying this as a local...) But, I know what you mean. People seem to enjoy, or at least tolerate, having to deal with bone/gristle here. I went to this one restaurant that served deep-fried chicken gristle - it said so right on the menu!

You also have to know what to order...some dishes will always have bone in it, no matter what price-point you are paying (chicken, fish, pork ribs) because that is just the way it is served, while others will not (fried rice/noodles, stir-fried dishes, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tagbarrett:
    UK style Chinese and Indian food where decent cuts of meat are used. I don't personally find chicken breast bland, just tasty. Maybe it's just not done here.
    I'm sure its done somewhere but its not preferred here. The locals (and to a large part Asians in general) do not like breast meat. Its dry, its tasteless and its boring.

You should check out the cross world trade that goes on in chicken parts, its neat.
    Most breasts go to the west while most feet come to the east.
    Wings and legs get divvied up nicely between east and west.
    z754103 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I'm sure its done somewhere but its not preferred here. The locals (and to a large part Asians in general) do not like breast meat. Its dry, its tasteless and its boring.
    If chicken breast meat is dry, tasteless and boring then it's due to the chef, not the meat.
    TheBrit, hullexile and Skyhook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:

You should check out the cross world trade that goes on in chicken parts, its neat.
    Most breasts go to the west while most feet come to the east.
    Wings and legs get divvied up nicely between east and west.
    I sat next to a man on a plane who did this business between the UK and China and made a nice profit.

For me it is great, I get to eat most of the breast while the family have the rest.

I buy frozen boneless chicken leg meat in a frozen meat shop. I think imported from France. And it's ok.

For beef I get frozen one from Brazil, it's much better than the supermarket stuff. Chinese name is Au-Lau. It's good enough, for better go for Argentinian or Angus. It's all available at some local frozen meat shops.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast