Like Tree47Likes

Dear Caucasian Man @ Cheesecake Factory

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Dear Caucasian Man @ Cheesecake Factory

This is what you get when you pair a hyped opening with SCMP reviewers who seem to have a problem with Caucasian men who make them wait "long time"..

When I told a Caucasian man in a fresh shirt and tie that I needed to get a pager, he told me to get to the back of the queue which had formed to the left of the entrance. There was another queue to the right – and that was just to put your name down. Many people eagerly joined that line. Did they know how long they would have to wait?
    Atleast he was wearing a fresh shirt and tie. Wonder what brand it was and how much it cost.

The Caucasian man passed out small booklets with the menu printed in English and Chinese to people waiting in line. We got one and deciding what we would order once we sat down helped pass the time.
    At The Cheesecake Factory, new in Hong Kong, you form a line just to get a place in line, and for hundreds that’s fine. Not me | South China Morning Post

I noticed that our Japanese cheese cake shop in Sai Kungs main drag has met its predicted demise. Lasted about a year.

Personally, cant stand baked cheese cake, and really dont understand why anybody would waste 3 hours of their life on this.

"This is definitely not the place of healthy eating" - at a place called Cheesecake Factory? Win an award for powers of observation.

"I asked if I came at 6pm how long the wait would be. She said about half an hour."
    "While there is a lot of typical American fare"
    "We went somewhere for an overpriced drink and waited."

FFS, this reads like a ten year old kid's homework assignment, only most ten year old native speakers wouldn't be messing up tenses and plurals so badly.

Then again, this is a piece about a place called Cheesecake Factory (never been to one, I can only guess at what it's like) so maybe the writing matches the potential market.

shri, rani, imparanoic and 1 others like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Crazy HK way. Generally if there is a queue for a restaurant I just go and find a different one without a queue!

He looked quickly behind him at the bar, where two people were leaving, and asked if we minded sitting there.
    Could they not have given this option in the first place?
    We were seated immediately.
    Huh, just noticed this too.

Clearly this option could not have been given in the first place, as it only occurred as the writer stood there with a bar space freeing up after the manager realised how long she'd been waiting.

I know the quality of writing in the SCMP is shit, but I keep forgetting until the occasional example like this comes along to remind me.
    angeluscomplex likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Crazy HK way. Generally if there is a queue for a restaurant I just go and find a different one without a queue!
    Mr Brown - A Singaporean blogger once observed that the only true Singaporean proverb is .. "Where there is a long queue, there must be good food lah.."
    JaredHK, misshappy26 and JAherbert like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:

FFS, this reads like a ten year old kid's homework assignment, only most ten year old native speakers wouldn't be messing up tenses and plurals so badly.

Then again, this is a piece about a place called Cheesecake Factory (never been to one, I can only guess at what it's like) so maybe the writing matches the potential market.
    It gets worse during long weekends. I assume this is when the few native speakers / editors go on holiday and the ESL speakers take over the copy.
    angeluscomplex likes this.

Am I the only one who finds it humiliating queuing to be fed?

Name:  29A8B24100000578-3125112-image-a-1_1434439721690.jpg
Views: 1798
Size:  64.6 KB

I'd rather starve myself than to be given a token to eventually get a shit quality food served by an employee with a disgusting attitude.

Culture & lifestyle of this city and its inhabitants never fail to disgust me!

HK_Katherine and Mrs. Jones like this.

Am I the only one who finds it humiliating queuing to be fed?
    That rules out retail purchases. You have to queue to pay, to feed yourself.
    Rules out restaurants where there might be even one more diner whose order might be ahead of you in the kitchen.
    Rules out delivery services where the app might tell you there is 1 other delivery scheduled ahead of you.
    Rules out ...

Ah fuck it.. start a hippie self sustaining farm or something and hope that the organic seeds can be bought without queueing.
    rickyross and si0001 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    That rules out retail purchases. You have to queue to pay, to feed yourself.
    Rules out restaurants where there might be even one more diner whose order might be ahead of you in the kitchen.
    Rules out delivery services where the app might tell you there is 1 other delivery scheduled ahead of you.
    Rules out ...

Ah fuck it.. start a hippie self sustaining farm or something and hope that the organic seeds can be bought without queueing.
    Don't forgot queues for elevators going up to restaurants on the upper floors! The restaurant may not have a queue but I hope for the guys sake that there are escalators.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast