Like Tree14Likes

Addicted to Egg Tarts! What about you?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch:
    Sago/ coconut milk sweet soup (sai maih louh) - often with tropical summer fruits added.

Coconut cream buns (gai meih bao - I have no idea why they are called "chicken tail buns" in Chinese).

Serradura (mostly a Macau thing, but ...)

Actually, lots of Macau food.

Cock (Chicken) in Cantonese = gai
    Tail in Cantonese = mei

HK-style French toast! I try not to eat it too much, but still do sometimes...
    Mango-sago-pomelo dessert.
    And those glutinous-rice balls with peanut sugar.

chingleutsch and Fiona in HKG like this.

Polo yau and traditional HK milk tea at the same time. Simply irresistible.

There's a bakery near me that has custard filled buns that are crusty and bigger than I've seen anywhere else. They're great.

Also char siu can be pretty addictive but tbh when it comes to addictive food I just want to go back to Thailand

What's happened to the food hawker that used to work on the walkway to festival walk from Cornwall street?

Mmmm...looking forward to trying all these other foods. I didn't try the pineapple buns or milk tea & toast but was tempted walking by the Aussie Dairy Co.

Egg bubble waffles were good too but not as good as tarts, there was a place on Carnarvon doing them with all sorts of extras (berries, ice cream etc.) but always a line and didn't end up getting them.

Also loved the char sui pork! Where are people's favourites? I tried the place mentioned by Antony Bourdain out in Taipo and wasn't disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    What's happened to the food hawker that used to work on the walkway to festival walk from Cornwall street?
    I lived in that neighborhood before, didn't quite notice there is a food hawker (on Cornwall street?! Few pedestrians walk pass there I think and therefore is not a good location for business).

Anyway, what kind of food does he sell?

Egg tarts - Macau style best, but traditional HK style good enough, char sui both addictive as they come, and can I also add a decent wonton noodle soup just for a simple but cheap dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by AGxM:
    Egg tarts - Macau style best, but traditional HK style good enough, char sui both addictive as they come, and can I also add a decent wonton noodle soup just for a simple but cheap dinner.
    I've tried Portuguese tarts here (of which there are 2 kinds -crispy shell & flaky shell) but didn't come across Macanese, any difference? The Portuguese being more like an egg tart+Crème brûlée on top.

Further reading for the tart afflicted:

Hong Kong vs Macau: battle of the egg tarts! | Daily Delicious Eats

Quote Originally Posted by Terreneuve:
    I've tried Portuguese tarts here (of which there are 2 kinds -crispy shell & flaky shell) but didn't come across Macanese, any difference? The Portuguese being more like an egg tart+Crème brûlée on top.

Further reading for the tart afflicted:

Hong Kong vs Macau: battle of the egg tarts! | Daily Delicious Eats
    Macau was ruled by Portuguese in the past, and the latter's influence has not totally vanished (yet) to the former.

As far as I am aware, Macau tarts ARE Portuguese tarts. The two variants you mentioned are merely (intended) results of two different cooking techniques widely applicable to Chinese cuisines.

For instance, while traditional "Char Siu Bao" (BBQ pork buns 叉燒包) have a puffy exterior, some Chinese restaurants (e.g. Tim Ho Wan 添好運) are offering them with crusty shells but identical contents within, in an attempt to bring some variety to that old-fashioned food.
    Terreneuve likes this.