Like Tree70Likes

Why don't most restaurants accept plastic payment?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    0.8% is a small price to pay for all the perks one could be getting
    All the small shops and markets will just have a QR code on display like this soon and will get all the benefits without needing to pay Octopus a cent. Just wait for whatsapp pay to arrive in HK shortly. Name:  med-QR-kod-DSC_7703.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  557.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by big_panda:
    Maxims the fast food chain takes plastic including AMEX. That's in your budget of $80.
    That and MacDonald's are the ONLY places I know where I can use credit cards to pay for the meal, and for Octopus cards, apart from the above the ONLY places I can use them are inside universities.

When I go to Jordan, literally NONE of the restaurants accept anything other than cash.

It's not even junk mail, the posters are plastered all around the shops and some cashiers would tell you that spending x amount more qualifies you for the discount so if I'm $20 off, you bet your ass I'm walking back to grab an extra packet of chicken or something.

Screw leaving near 25% off on the table if I can help it. But I guess Li Ka Shing needs the extra cash so he thanks you for your continued support.

TheBrit likes this.

I don't use mobile payment because it is too cumbersome - entering my phone password takes half a minute.

I prefer to use plastic instead of metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tsang:
    I don't use mobile payment because it is too cumbersome - entering my phone password takes half a minute.

Most phones have fingerprint scan so as to avoid entering a password.
    muzzdang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter White:
    Most phones have fingerprint scan so as to avoid entering a password.
    I don't trust fingerprint scan because it can be easily forged. Also if my fingers are hurt I cannot unlock the phone.

Paranoid much?

If your fingers are hurting enough that you can't touch the phone, then how would you enter the password?

jimbo, jgl, BraveRis and 1 others like this.

Then I think you are in a spot of bother.

If you want to keep eating at the restaurants that you want to, the you will have to carry cash. If you want to keep using your card, then you will need to go to the eateries that allow for electronic payment. That is the way the industry works.

The way I see it is, that the cash only restaurants are usually quite cheap. The value of points you collect and the cash back you get from paying by card are usually worth a lot less than the discount you get by eating at these cheaper eateries.

I personally have not had any problems with payment methods in HK and if anything, the ability to split bills makes it such a great place to eat out.

Original Post Deleted
    Where is your HK ID card?

Eat where they take Octopus then.

All the main fast food chains come to mind.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast