Like Tree29Likes

Local restaurant that over charge.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Im led to believe Under bridge Spicy Crab will charge more to foreigner's than they do to locals.

Tycoon Tax. You need to pay the tycoons to keep them happy.

$175 for a late late night sit down meal in a night life district.

That's about USD22, GBP17, EUR19

What did you eat?

If you were eating street food or at a cafe with plastic chairs and 40 years old Formica topped tables perhaps $45

Eating out in HK in all districts have become expensive due to inflation of food, labour cost, electricity, gas and expensive rents.

But still cheaper than most western countries, may also include a tax in those countries. No tax to the customers shopping and eating in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    Im led to believe Under bridge Spicy Crab will charge more to foreigner's than they do to locals.
    Impossible unless they are giving out 2 different menus. That place does overcharge but they do so to everyone. Of course overcharge is based on one's perception of price to value you are getting. The novelty of the food wears off after eating there once or twice IMO.

Original Post Deleted
    Usually because locals eat the set menus, those are cheaper, and not translated into English. I typically order in Chinese albeit I don't know the full menu, just a few dishes and if it wasn't on a set menu the staff would say it's too expensive and not let me order it. But if you don't speak any Canto then the staff just give up and let you choose what you want from the normal menu.

The normal menu is always more expensive and drink not included.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Usually because locals eat the set menus, those are cheaper, and not translated into English. I typically order in Chinese albeit I don't know the full menu, just a few dishes and if it wasn't on a set menu the staff would say it's too expensive and not let me order it. But if you don't speak any Canto then the staff just give up and let you choose what you want from the normal menu.

The normal menu is always more expensive and drink not included.
    Bollocks! Plenty of menus which have exactly the same dishes and different prices. Has made me and the missus laugh so much over the past 15 years here. Nothings changed. There may be the odd set meal menu and certainly those chalked up on the walls are in Chinese only and changed daily but discrepancies are not unusual on same menu....!

I feel HK is safe even late night after a few drinks my only concern is eating locally their standard of hygiene is interesting I used to own a restaurant so it's always in the back of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Londonnep:
    I feel HK is safe even late night after a few drinks my only concern is eating locally their standard of hygiene is interesting I used to own a restaurant so it's always in the back of my head.
    What do you mean by hygiene? If you are thinking prepared foods like goose and BBQ meats hanging for hours, that's been around for ages and I've never heard any stories about people falling ill from it. You go to a place like Cafe deCoral or Fairwood and the workers are dressed like they work in health care with masks and hair covers. I've never seen this in the US but wish they would implement the same as workers talking over your food even if just handing it to you means saliva droplets coming out of their mouth possibly. True there are some local really local places which may not have best practices but they always serve food hot. I've never gotten sick eating at such places either.
    jimbo and gigglinggal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    What do you mean by hygiene? If you are thinking prepared foods like goose and BBQ meats hanging for hours, that's been around for ages and I've never heard any stories about people falling ill from it. You go to a place like Cafe deCoral or Fairwood and the workers are dressed like they work in health care with masks and hair covers. I've never seen this in the US but wish they would implement the same as workers talking over your food even if just handing it to you means saliva droplets coming out of their mouth possibly. True there are some local really local places which may not have best practices but they always serve food hot. I've never gotten sick eating at such places either.
    Absolutely!

Never once got food poisoning in HK or Thailand from local restaurants or street food.

The only time I ever got sick was from a 5 star hotel restaurant, Go Figure

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Absolutely!

Never once got food poisoning in HK or Thailand from local restaurants or street food.

The only time I ever got sick was from a 5 star hotel restaurant, Go Figure
    Same for me in all my years here. Twice from 5-star hotels and once from 'the kebab place' in DB. The sort where you yell out... "Take me now".
    chuckster007 likes this.