Like Tree29Likes

Local restaurant that over charge.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Local restaurant that over charge.

I had a few drinks in Mongkok it was around 4am
    Looking for somewhere to eat this old women invited me in. They said they didn't have menus so I was to choose from the picture on the wall i went for the duck and it had a mixture of other meats looked like left-overs thrown in tasted like that too anyway I'm digressing cost me 175hkd with a bowl of rice which I thought was way to much for a local place. Near mongkok station.

Kowloon Goon and Rob2020 like this.

Idiot tax

jimbo, Kowloon Goon, shri and 5 others like this.

Should of gone to a 24hr McDonald’s.

They saw you coming that’s for sure, totally ripped you off.
    No prices then walk out.

Kowloon Goon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Londonnep:
    I had a few drinks in Mongkok it was around 4am
    Looking for somewhere to eat this old women invited me in. They said they didn't have menus so I was to choose from the picture on the wall i went for the duck and it had a mixture of other meats looked like left-overs thrown in tasted like that too anyway I'm digressing cost me 175hkd with a bowl of rice which I thought was way to much for a local place. Near mongkok station.
    Learn the words "Gei Ch-ee-n Ahh" (How much is it?)

As for the price, it really depends what it was. Goose can be quite expensive. Duck not so much. But HK$175 is not the norm and definitely cheaper things to eat. It sounds weird that some lady invited you in, at this hour, should be able to find some place on G/F or some snacks.

Did the HK$175 include a few beers too?

Thanks 1 of 100 things to look out for in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by Londonnep:
    Thanks 1 of 100 things to look out for in HK.
    Anywhere in the world, esp if you've been out drinking.
    Mat likes this.

A few dishes in Mongkok's meat and beer indoor restaurants or outdoor dai pai dong can easily go above $200. They are not the real budget places in the city. Those restaurants opening 24 hours tend to be more expensive. Mong Kok is cheap for eating in the day, not really at night.

MandM!, gigglinggal and Mat like this.

You were probably (emphasized) not overcharged. If it were Italian food, would you feel you "overpaid"? The perception that Chinese food should be cheap is a "Western" bias that is often unconscious. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b062f96a34c9cc

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast