Like Tree40Likes

Going vegetarian in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Humans raise 70 billion animals each year globally for meat. Guess what they eat? The crops grown by us. Watch the video by Kurzgesagt if you want a balanced view of the subject https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxvQPzrg2Wg

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I don't think many people read articles that don't reinforce their ardent beliefs as it is just easier to dismiss them.
    I don't have any ardent beliefs, a happy omnivore. We kill living things all the time just by living ourselves. That argument against vegetarianism is very weak.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I don't have any ardent beliefs, a happy omnivore. We kill living things all the time just by living ourselves. That argument against vegetarianism is very weak.
    The argument isn't against vegetarianism it argues that if people are choosing a diet to reduce the deaths of sentiant beings perhaps a total least harm aproach should be taken and not just counting the deaths of the edible animals.

The argument isn't against vegetarianism it argues that if people are choosing a diet to reduce the deaths of sentiant beings perhaps a total least harm aproach should be taken and not just counting the deaths of the edible animals.
    I know what it argues. As a famous book says "all animals are equal but some are more equal than others".
    UK/HKboy likes this.

its damn difficult but hong kong has improved in last decade for vegetarian. you will find good options.

I've never understood the argument of killing fewer animals to support vegetarianism. The same ppl would kill flies, cockroaches, rats etc.

Its similar that the cute endangered animals get the most donations from the public.

However, if you have this belief and never kill anything else, then I truly respect you and your principles.

If an insect that isn't a fly, cockroach or mosquito and comes into my room, I pick them up on a piece of paper and leave them at a balcony or a window for them to fly away.

If it's one of the aforementioned, I'll swat it. I've probably killed around a 1000 mosquitoes in my lifetime. But otherwise I'm totally against harming other life forms be they rats, lizards, chickens, pigs etc

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    I've never understood the argument of killing fewer animals to support vegetarianism.
    I don't think anyone is suggesting that argument.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that argument.
    There are vegetarians who choose to not eat animals because they do not agree with killing other animals.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    There are vegetarians who choose to not eat animals because they do not agree with eating flesh
    Corrected for you.

40 mouse deaths per acre of grain
    6 sheep deaths per acre of grassland

Fischer, B. and Lamey, A. “Field Deaths in Plant Agriculture.” Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics, 2018
    UK/HKboy likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4