Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Going vegetarian in Hong Kong

Going vegetarian in Hong Kong

The first year I spent in Hong Kong as a student I told myself it was impossible to be a vegetarian. The restaurant menus confirmed it too.

But it is possible. For those looking to make the switch here's how I did it. The Buddhist Chinese restaurants are our best allies. Harvester and Green Veggie in Sheung Wan and Bijas in HKU are great weigh-and-pay places. The food is healthy and tasty too. A decent sized portion costs 45-60 HKD. There is CS Vegan in TIn Hau, which I haven't visited yet. I wasn't thrilled the first time I ate at a Buddhist restaurant as it was new to me. But I find these are the kind of restaurants you can eat at regularly. You can look up these kinds of restaurants on Openrice.

Some other cuisines/ options are: Thai = curry with rice; Pad Thai, flat noodles; Italian = pasta and pizza; Indian and Nepali = lots of options here; Burgers, sandwiches and salads = Pret à manger, Grove Cafe and Veggie Monster. Other cuisines in HK like Mexican and Turkish also have veg dishes. The only exception I've come across is Vietnamese restaurants, which seem to have meat in all their dishes.

Popular restaurant chains like Tsui Wah, Fairwood and Eat Together have vegetarian dishes too.

There are thousands of restaurants in HK and most of them have one or more vegetarian dishes. It makes ordering a lot easier!

Ultimately, I cook Indian food on the weekends and learn new recipes from watching vegan Youtube channels. They seem to have innovated a lot given their dietary constraints.

I hope this helps!

Appreciate the post and effort.

Also vegan friendly:

Green Common (multiple locations)
    Mana (Central)
    Changle (Causeway Bay)
    Three Virtues Vegetarian Restaurant (North Point)
    Veggie Cafe - their sign says Veggle (Kwun Tong)

... And many more.

I find it's fairly easy to be veggie even with Western food. Nood Food is everywhere (anywhere there is a Pure Fitness or Pure Yoga which is all over the island) plus lots of Indian and Thai options. Even M&S has pretty good options.

PS. If anyone is a fan of hummus I recently came across a brand called galilee valley that is sold at Great Food Hall in Pacific Place. It's easily the best hummus I've had since Taim in NYC - they shuck the chickpeas before blending so the final product is ultra smooth and luxurious. I've been going through at least one tub a week.

Kowloon Goon, Retroman and z754103 like this.

How is Three Virtues Restaurant? Some places go overboard with the mock meat.

But on the other hand, Harvester has great mock Sweet & Sour Pork and Green Veggie is famous for their mock Char Siu Bun.

imparanoic likes this.

3V has a lot of cock meat, and some are a mouthful of nasty, but some are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon Goon
    3V has a lot of cock meat, and some are a mouthful of nasty, but some are good.
    Cock meat you say? Is that vegetarian?

I find this thread redundant. I have been in HK for 12 years as a vegetarian and make no special effort to find what I want. Almost every restaurant has some kind of non-meat restaurants these days. Avoid ones that don't.
    Kowloon Goon and Bob Loblaw like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster

I find this thread redundant. I have been in HK for 12 years as a vegetarian and make no special effort to find what I want. Almost every restaurant has some kind of non-meat restaurants these days. Avoid ones that don't.
    Vegetarian? Depends if you swallow.

Yes, I guess you're right. Pretty easy to get by here...
    Rooster and jack55 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster

Your username adds the perfect amount of ambiguity to that post

Strongly recommend Khana Khazana above the 7-11 on the corner of Jaffe Road and Luard Road - If you appreciate Indian food that is.

hin23leung and Kowloon Goon like this.

Sorry for being cynical.... but those options are all overpriced. Local "vegetarian" restaurant options, on the other hand, as far as I have found, entail dumping some plainly cooked vegetable on a plate of semi-cold rice. Bijias -- one of the most expensive options at HKU -- always uses some kind of flavoring that my stomach turned at after a certain point. I found Harvester very expensive, unless you wanted to eat a lot of rice.

What I find frustrating about not wanting to eat Brazilian or Chinese meat in Hong Kong is that the alternative ideas for "vegetarian" in this city tend to mean "carbohydrates" and little else, like pasta with "basil" tomato sauce.

But go with the meat options, and you can get great $35 flavorful deals... I don't, but I still wish there were more bean or lentil options at affordable prices. I even once spent a considerable amount of time to discuss with Grove when they caught me to do a customer feedback survey how the vegetarian options should somehow include some protein. No changes, of course...

It's just not a great city to be a vegetarian. Too many people think it's perfectly normal and fine to eat a steak from Brazil for lunch and pay $40.

shri likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast