Like Tree31Likes

Food poisoning - Pololi

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Can never forgot the story of the poor woman who died from food poisoning at Dan Ryan's Thanksgiving dinner

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-poisoning-dan

Its very hard to tell if illnesses are food poisoning or viruses. I get a lot of "something", often while travelling in Asia. I think getting older also makes you more susceptible to everything!

I once ended up in hospital with the most god-awful case of food poisoning, from rice left at room temperature!

jayinhongkong likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    I once ended up in hospital with the most god-awful case of food poisoning, from rice left at room temperature!
    rice is a great substrate for pathogens. Easy to digest and a good source of nutrients!
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Considering 25% of us 'carry' the most common food poisoning bacteria up our nose it is always easy to blame the food.

Obviously when there is a mass outbreak is is going to be the food. It could just be bad toilet hygiene of the person that went before you and left the door knob or faucet handle festering with bacteria.

https://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/disea...ylococcal.html

Quote Originally Posted by tf19:
    agree. the food handling standards and tolerance to vermin is pretty appalling. In some of the larger establishments in China, they've started showing live video feeds of the kitchen which I find quite re-assuring. It would be fantastic to see that in HK, or even a publicly displayed cleanliness rating like in New York City.
    hahahaha, Hong Kong and transparency are completely different words!

Original Post Deleted
    Out of interest I did recently study the best way to reduce bacteria like this in 'clean' environments like hospitals that have already instigated good hand washing and touch surface cleansing. The next step is adopting 'bare below the elbow' dress codes.

HK public hospitals are very good at hand washing and touch point cleansing but still need someway to go to further eradicate the risk of bacteria spreading.

HK's cheek by jowl living and the climate coupled with lax disinfecting regimes are the perfect environment for bacteria.

Last edited by East_coast; 23-07-2018 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    The culprit could be Bacillus cereus, which can form spores: https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-que...ood-poisoning/

When I was backpacking I used Bangkok as a 'hub' and was often sick there... it got to a point where I would start to feel sick before I'd even landed in Bangkok.

The worst food poisoning I ever had was in New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Can never forgot the story of the poor woman who died from food poisoning at Dan Ryan's Thanksgiving dinner

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-poisoning-dan
    I was at Tai Koo Cityplaza a few months ago and the there is a new Dan Ryan's there. I had a look at the menu and the hostess tried to entice me inside. I asked here if she knew her restaurant had recently killed someone. She did not. I can not believe that restaurant has the nerve to continue their business here after killing someone. I mean seriously, how does any restaurant recover from that.