Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Best food since sliced bread

7 22.58%
  • I'll go if everyone else is going

14 45.16%
  • I'll go, but I'm just eating, not cooking

2 6.45%
  • You just throw some ingredients into a pot - totally lacks cultural significance

10 32.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree32Likes

Hotpot - not so hot?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hotpot - not so hot?

I can see why people like it - good for sharing, but I also see Chua Lam's point.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-hotpot-dishes

HK_Katherine likes this.

Who the heck is this guy anyway? I don't particularly love it but I have it a few times a year, the spicy version. I don't understand why he thinks it's not cooking. You don't need a chef to cook food.

It's not really cooking. Reminds me of the 'Mongolian BBQ' type restaurants a few years ago. You mix some cheap stuff together in a weird mix and pretended you liked it.

But I presume it can be done nicely, I never had that though. If food need to come in a pot I prefer Sukiyaki any time.

But if people like it, let them. Many like KFC or 7Eleven junk too. I have no problem with that.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fhkE3e7lT_g

One of my favorite YouTube channels. She uploaded a new video today and it's hotpot. If that's not cooking then I don't know what is. What about sushi? Is that cooking?

Rather off it following the reports of rodents being served up in China recently

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbler:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fhkE3e7lT_g

One of my favorite YouTube channels. She uploaded a new video today and it's hotpot. If that's not cooking then I don't know what is. What about sushi? Is that cooking?
    Lovely video, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    It's not really cooking. Reminds me of the 'Mongolian BBQ' type restaurants a few years ago. You mix some cheap stuff together in a weird mix and pretended you liked it.

But I presume it can be done nicely, I never had that though. If food need to come in a pot I prefer Sukiyaki any time.

But if people like it, let them. Many like KFC or 7Eleven junk too. I have no problem with that.
    Sukiyaki is similar to chinese hotpot, shabu shabu is closest to chinese hotpot, i prefer it over chinese hotpot, but if you go to a decent hotpot place, it's rather nice, i also don't like chongxing style hotpot though

even korean tteokbokki street style (there is a street in soeul that has only this style of rice cake in hotpot )is similar to chinese hotpot, but it's more of thick chilli sauce than a watery broth

What pains is me is seeing good quality meat being put into a hotpot ... what a waste.

biffski and Elegiaque like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    What pains is me is seeing good quality meat being put into a hotpot ... what a waste.
    But it’s so nice to dip it in a pot of chili:

huja likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast