Like Tree10Likes

Recommend Japanese whisky

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Recommend Japanese whisky

Hello all,

Please could you recommend any Japanese whisky for less than HK$500 (buy in Hong Kong)?

Thanks in advance!

That could be tough. Japanese whisky is not known for being budget-oriented here.

If you're amenable to other Asian options, the bog standard Kavalan (Taiwanese) single malt in the rectangular bottle is very mild and in your budget. Kavalan Podium is almost the same price and and considerably more peppery. I am sure that 'peppery' isn't a whisky connoisseur term, but that's how I'd put it- closer to what I'd associate with Scottish single malts.

imparanoic likes this.

HTL

Nikka from the barrel.

Very good value, under $500 from most 7/11 stores and winner of countless awards!

TheBrit and MandM! like this.

Japanese whisky is pretty expensive everywhere now as it's recently become a lot more popular and the big distilleries (Yamazaki, Nikka) simply don't have the stock to supply demand for decent single malts. Given it can take 10 years plus to age whisky the situation won't be remedied any time soon.

I would think a Hibiki blend is your best shot at a bottle under $500 - it doesn't have an age statement so it allows the blender to be more creative using different years production to keep supply going. Chita also although I didn't see much of that in Hong Kong in the past.

Kavalan - flying on Cathay to US, I remember that one being mentioned a fair few times on the in-flight entertainment system...

actually there are quite alot of japanese whisky that are not that costly.. but the problem is hk seldom carry those value for money brand as the cost of space to display them is too expensive...

if you are in japan, or even in singapore, check out shops like 'donqi houtei' where you get to see alot of not-popular japanese whiskey.. just pick anyone many are within your price range

overtaken...

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Japanese whisky is pretty expensive everywhere now as it's recently become a lot more popular and the big distilleries (Yamazaki, Nikka) simply don't have the stock to supply demand for decent single malts. Given it can take 10 years plus to age whisky the situation won't be remedied any time soon.

I would think a Hibiki blend is your best shot at a bottle under $500 - it doesn't have an age statement so it allows the blender to be more creative using different years production to keep supply going. Chita also although I didn't see much of that in Hong Kong in the past.
    Japan are no longer producing aged whiskeys.....hence why the price is going up. If you can get your hands on some now it could be a good investment.
    greenmark likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    Japan are no longer producing aged whiskeys.....hence why the price is going up. If you can get your hands on some now it could be a good investment.
    They are ramping up distilling and maturing... but obviously this won't hit the market for many years.
    Trebor likes this.

Ah then ive been misinformed, i knew they had stopped due to lack of demand but makes sense to have started again now that it is so popular.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast