Like Tree11Likes

Custom Cakes in HK - April 2019

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Custom Cakes in HK - April 2019

Hello Everyone!

It's been a while since there was a thread on this so I'm starting a new one...As a non-parent, I"m trying to understand what would be a 'reasonable' cost of a medium/large custom cake in HK?

Assuming it's not maxims or st honore...maybe more aligned to cova and Ms Bs.

Ms Bs said anything from HK$5,000 to $25,000 depending on size and intricacy.

Would appreciate feedback, esp from those folks who might have done this recently for themselves/their kids.

Thanks!

There's some kind of weird assumption you're not addressing in your post -- something about how people would only order cakes if they have kids? Can non-parents not order cakes, too? What does custom ordered cakes have to do with kids?

I haven't done it recently (for myself, not a kid, and I'd never waste custom-made cake money on a kid!), but I'd recommend contacting Domie in Jordan (more HK style cake) or the Artelier Joel Robuchen. The latter can make outstanding cakes, but it would be expensive (1-2k?):

L’Atelier HK

Yeah- it's my personal prejudices coming in to play! Clearly I"m not much of a cake guy!

1k-2k is USD? seems v cheap for HKD...

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    There's some kind of weird assumption you're not addressing in your post -- something about how people would only order cakes if they have kids? Can non-parents not order cakes, too? What does custom ordered cakes have to do with kids?

I haven't done it recently (for myself, not a kid, and I'd never waste custom-made cake money on a kid!), but I'd recommend contacting Domie in Jordan (more HK style cake) or the Artelier Joel Robuchen. The latter can make outstanding cakes, but it would be expensive (1-2k?):

L’Atelier HK

Gosh haven't you ever ordered cake for yourself or adults?

Well a few years ago I paid around $400 for a small but outstanding chocolate orange birthday cake at Joel Robuchon, but I think that price is now around $600. If it's a cake for 10+ people, I'm not sure...

Mandarin also does really delicious cakes, and they all accept orders. Just ring them up and get a ballpark idea. Domie might struggle to speak English with you on the phone (but they will get an English speaking member of staff).

Custom cake for what occasion??
    Medium to large?? how many layers we talking about
    5K - 25K WTF : you trying to buy a friggen 6ft tall wedding type of cake that is Humongous i wouldn't spend 25K on a bloody cake not even for my own wedding.
    How many ppl you trying to feed from this cake.

$5k - $25k is quite high, even if you include the cost of the stripper that jumps out of the middle

I would just bake one myself. Most HK cakes are just creamy crap and not cake at all!

Elegiaque and chingleutsch like this.

Thanks so far...cake to feed 50...

I would go speak to the bakery at the Great Foodhall in Pacific Place. Not sure what the price range is like but def less than 5k

I paid $900 for a cake to feed 25 about 6 months ago. However comparing notes with friends when you add fondant and all sorts of elaborate designs the price begins to skyrocket. So your quotes sound insane to me!

There are some small business bakeries that make good stuff popular with families, check out this link:

http://www.hongkongmoms.com.hk/can-g...e-custom-made/

From this list I've used or tasted at friends parties:

PartyMate Cakes
    Two Lil' Bakers
    Sweet Secrets

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast