Like Tree118Likes

What are you cooking tonight?

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Oi Huja, when are you going to have a crack at baking your own Sui Yuk aka Chinese crispy pork belly ?

I also find that served with steamed short grain rice instead of long grain rice and the obligatory steamed bok choy, light soy and hot English mustard accoutrements is slightly more satisfying than just using bog stock standard steamed long grain jasmine rice in my opinion.

Always a winner if you don't have a Chinese BBQ meat shop conveniently located to where you live, which in my case does not exist, our closest being 45 minutes away, so it's easier for us just to bake our own, when we are feeling a bit Hongkie.

So, yeah, when's Sui Yuk going to be on Casa Huja's kitchen menu? I am looking forward to pics of your handy work :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Oi Huja, when are you going to have a crack at baking your own Sui Yuk aka Chinese crispy pork belly ?

I also find that served with steamed short grain rice instead of long grain rice and the obligatory steamed bok choy, light soy and hot English mustard accoutrements is slightly more satisfying than just using bog stock standard steamed long grain jasmine rice in my opinion.

Always a winner if you don't have a Chinese BBQ meat shop conveniently located to where you live, which in my case does not exist, our closest being 45 minutes away, so it's easier for us just to bake our own, when we are feeling a bit Hongkie.

So, yeah, when's Sui Yuk going to be on Casa Huja's kitchen menu? I am looking forward to pics of your handy work :-)
    It's on the summer list for sure.

We typically go with Japanese-style medium grain rice at Casa Huja if we go the white rice route. Some excellent varieties grown here in California. It is so incredibly delicious in the Hainan Chicken recipe I listed earlier in this thread. We use long grain white rice to accompany Indian food or beans.

However, most of the time we've been making something I call "rainbow rice" as a healthier option. "Rainbow rice" is brown, red, and black rice in a ratio of about 2 : 1 : 1. Sometimes I'll add a medley of sprouted brown rice, barley, etc that I buy at the Japanese grocery store. More fiber. More nutrients.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    It's on the summer list for sure.

We typically go with Japanese-style medium grain rice at Casa Huja if we go the white rice route. Some excellent varieties grown here in California. It is so incredibly delicious in the Hainan Chicken recipe I listed earlier in this thread. We use long grain white rice to accompany Indian food or beans.

However, most of the time we've been making something I call "rainbow rice" as a healthier option. "Rainbow rice" is brown, red, and black rice in a ratio of about 2 : 1 : 1. Sometimes I'll add a medley of sprouted brown rice, barley, etc that I buy at the Japanese grocery store. More fiber. More nutrients.
    Yeah I am with you on the Hainan/drunken chicken and we also make Khoa Mun Gai and serve it with Japanese short rice as I find it more satisfying re palate feel etc. We also only use long grain or Basmati rice when I cook Indian food, especially now that we nailed how to make fresh pan fried butter garlic naan from scratch, its basically pizza dough minus the olive oil and it has yogurt in the dough recipe. LOVE IT !

There is something very cool about being able to replicate various cultural restaurant dishes, thanks to a well travelled/tuned food palate.

PS I have tried the darker rices and my wife and I still cant get motivated enough to eat it as much as we should, but then again, our white rice consumption since we left HK and not having helpers ( man they eat A LOT of rice! ) our rice bill = about 16kg's of rice per year now. We were going through about that every 2 to 3 months when we lived in HK lol

Skyhook likes this.

Center-cut pork chop with apple Bourbon chutney. Wok-fried summer squash. Steamed broccoli. Cannellini beans cooked with sage and garlic, drizzled with olive oil.
    Name:  IMG_20210712_184604380~2.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  1.74 MB

Skyhook likes this.

Vietnamese rice paper prawn rolls today, served cold with home made dipping sauce.

Name:  20210728_142139.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  3.80 MB
    Name:  20210728_142051.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  2.52 MB

huja likes this.

My take on stir fried chicken and cashew nut, minus the chicken and using prawns instead.
    Name:  20210728_183603.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  4.58 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    My take on stir fried chicken and cashew nut, minus the chicken and using prawns instead.
    Name:  20210728_183603.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  4.58 MB
    Very generous with your prawns to veg ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Very generous with your prawns to veg ratio.
    One of the many advantages of living on The Sunshine Coast, of Queensland, when it comes to locally sourced prawns. My parents had flown up from Melbourne, so I thought I'd cook multiple dishes for them, without being too culinary foreign too them or stingy with the prawns lol
    My dad is a bit vanilla when it comes to Asian food/flavour, and I remembered as a boy when we ate at our local Chinese restaurant, he'd always default to Chicken & Cashew Nut. So, improvised that recipe and substituted the chicken for our awesome prawns. I didn't notice anybody seated at our dining table ( that evening ) complain about having too many prawns on their plate lol
    huja likes this.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast