Like Tree19Likes

Foodpanda Orders - Problems?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

You can bring your lunch. I suggest avoiding any community coffee cups in the office canteen.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    What difference does it make? "Dark kitchens" make a lot of sense... several smart people are putting a lot of money behind the idea
    @TheBrit - I am only pointing out that this was something I noticed.
    As far as I am concerned, it's great. But I would like to know if I am indeed ordering from a ghost kitchen; something that FoodPanda did not do whereas Deliveroo was transparent about the practice.

Wouldn't you think it's important as an establishment of reputation - food storage, preparation, cleanliness etc. follows a certain standard?

I mean, when one visits a "dai pai dong" vs. a Pizza Express, there is an implicit expectation about this...

Why would foodpanda not be transparent about it, then?

Hmm - well if you are ordering from a restaurant that you know nothing about - what expectations would you typically have?

Personally, I don't have much expectations at all for good hygiene practices or sanitary conditions in most restaurants in Hong Kong - certainly the ones you typically find on delivery apps (i.e. not fancy hotel restaurants where there are higher expectations). Your $50-$100 a dish Thai/Szechuan/Indian/Vietnamese place - how many of those do you really think have great hygiene standards?

Speaking of "Dark Kitchens" .. until TheBrit brought it up, I'd seen that term used once or twice and just assumed it was one of those dine in the dark things that employed blind staff.

Come to think about it, could be slightly problematic if the kitchen was manned by.....

tf19 and rkenia852 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Speaking of "Dark Kitchens" .. until TheBrit brought it up, I'd seen that term used once or twice and just assumed it was one of those dine in the dark things that employed blind staff.

Come to think about it, could be slightly problematic if the kitchen was manned by.....
    Dark kitchens or ghost kitchens are becoming widespread in many places due to a combination of cost related factors - with the big food delivery companies playing a significant role in pushing restaurants in this direction.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Hmm - well if you are ordering from a restaurant that you know nothing about - what expectations would you typically have?
    Well, I would consider the customer reviews that they have as a starting point.
    My expectation from services like Foodpanda, Deliveroo, Uber etc. are the same. That they follow a standard of vetting restaurants and drivers/delivery persons that are involved in the process.

If I won’t eat there in person, I won’t order it off these apps either.
    Again, I have no problem with “dark kitchens” - merely the lack of transparency afforded to us, the consumer.

Hygiene is, of course, important and more so will be a mainstay when COVID-19 settles down (hopefully).

And soon......CLOUD Kitchens!

Plutark likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rkenia852
    And soon......CLOUD Kitchens!
    which you can pay with Bite Coins using blockfoodchain technology. They're going to disrupt the food markets via setting a new tasty paradigm!
    rkenia852 and TheBrit like this.

Short documentary on the whole “ghost kitchens” / “virtual kitchens” craze:

https://youtu.be/nVZq21xC3fM?t=75

rkenia852 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2