Like Tree58Likes

What are your food cravings under this outbreak?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

I've been wanting to start a herb garden as a social distancing hobby - I can get soil and pots at JHC but I can't think of a place to buy seeds. Any leads on HK island?

Quote Originally Posted by tf19:
    I've been wanting to start a herb garden as a social distancing hobby - I can get soil and pots at JHC but I can't think of a place to buy seeds. Any leads on HK island?
    Loads, get down to the flower market tomorrow morning (go early to avoid the hordes). Plenty of shops selling US & EU seeds. I avoid the Chinese ones, dodgy coatings.

Had a craving for a pulled pork sandwich, went out and got one. Everything is still open.

The bigger problem is me eating too much while working from home, because the kitchen is so close. I can't stop stuffing my face.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Everything is still open.
    Not in all cases...pork sandwich is easy to get. Not necessarily for other food. Eating out with family more than 4...nope. Quite a few restaurants have simply shut their doors. Hence why I have...food craving.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 10-04-2020 at 06:51 PM.

Agan the flower market isthe pace to look.

Also sell full plants

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Not in all cases...pork sandwich is easy to get. Not necessarily for other food. Eating out with family more than 4...nope. Quite a few restaurants have simply shut their doors. Hence why I have...food craving.
    Was a NY style sandwich, not that easy to get. But you are right, if you want a community meal that's pretty much impossible. Still, I think you can eat whatever you crave if you just want it enough. Might require some travel, but luckily it's pretty empty everywhere now. Japanese, Chinese, Peking Duck, American, still a lot of places open and now very enjoyable without other customers.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Was a NY style sandwich, not that easy to get. But you are right, if you want a community meal that's pretty much impossible. Still, I think you can eat whatever you crave if you just want it enough. Might require some travel, but luckily it's pretty empty everywhere now. Japanese, Chinese, Peking Duck, American, still a lot of places open and now very enjoyable without other customers.
    If I want it bad enough...I have to balance that with risk of infection and looking after the kids. Eating out is not a realistic scenario for the time being for me.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 10-04-2020 at 07:41 PM.
    mrgoodkat and Skyhook like this.

Food cravings I discover can lead to...strange directions. While I was buying groceries the other day I came across the canned meat section, and spam in particular. Normally I would not pay much attention to spam, but in these strange times I actually stopped and looked at it. Why? I can't really explain it, but something in my mind seem to give spam some thought. What are the ingredients of this mystery meat anyway? Why did it have such a popular hold on our imaginations? First from a Monty Python skit and now as a byword for unsolicited email.

Does spam really taste as bad as everyone thinks? Are Hawaiians the only ones who actually liked it? As it turned out, spam does have an interesting history. First developed for American troops in WW2, the food spread far and wide:

So have you ever had spam (the food)? What does it actually taste like?

Last edited by Coolboy; 11-04-2020 at 10:38 AM.

Hong Kong side look on the south side of Connaught Road, across from Shun Tak Ferry Terminal. Several shops that sell seeds, soil and other gardening supplies.
    tf19 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:

So have you ever had spam (the food)? What does it actually taste like?
    Very, very salty. Gelatinous, processed texture.
    Coolboy likes this.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast