Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By aw451

Drip v Americano

Drip v Americano

As Hong Kong has never had an additional tax for sitting to drink coffee the espresso never gain popularity way back as it did in Italy where a quick shot of caffeine was needed to avoid expensive table taxes. No doubt it is popular today in this time crunched world.

But for the average drinker it is Drip v Americano (or Long Black)

Which do you prefer?

Name:  91b1a7e3877e9050e9ab93673000c84b.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  37.1 KB

Whatever type of coffee my coffee machine makes. I think it's pressure, but not Americano.

I cant drink American ( weak ) dripulator coffee, having been brought up culturally on only proper E61 group head fitted espresso machines. So for me, traditional Italian coffee beverages ie espresso, ristretto, macchiato and Cappuccino using dark roasted arabica coffee beans. I also don't mind very strong Turkish/Greek coffee via a stove top Mokka pot when my Greek mates are over. But a definite no interest from me in regard to drip coffee. Yuck!

I use a Hario V60 which puts me in the drip category. Think I need to grow a beard and wear a check shirt from now on

shri likes this.

Definitely miss drip / filtered coffee. I didn't realize it was so hard to find outside of the US.

Quote Originally Posted by tf19:
    Definitely miss drip / filtered coffee. I didn't realize it was so hard to find outside of the US.
    They have it in Starbucks though it's pricey compared to the US/UK. I used to pay 1.55 GBP for a grande drip, which you could refill if you had the loyalty card. Compared to HK where it's 34 (i think) and no refill...

Best is to make your own I suppose

Just was talking about this with a friend! The Diner in Central has drip as well as the Flying Pan (at least they both taste like diner coffee, haha). I definitely prefer drip to Americano, but if I’m at a coffee shop I’ll usually go the flat white or latte route. At home I use an Aeropress or sometimes a French Press.

Last edited by foreverhobbes; 17-07-2020 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Misspelled word