Like Tree24Likes

What chicken to buy in HK - and where?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    Probably not. My point was that chlorinating them possibly encourages less healthy/ethical methods.

Just a point of view. I would prefer more natural chickens reared in good conditions. Of course you get what you are willing to pay for.

"chlorinating them possibly encourages less healthy/ethical methods."

It's not true. The chlorination is a way to prevent pathogens. There are just different methods.

Like the USA uses pasteurized milk but then the milk needs to be refirgeratored on the shelf. While the EU irradiates the milk, but then the milk can be on a shelf with no refrigeration.

Or if you look at car safety standards, there is the US standard, the EU standard, and the Japanese standard. Just different ways of ensuring safety.

You don't want chlorination? sure, but don't think you aren't getting other pathogen preventing methods. That's just a fact of life with industrial agri culture.

So then are the other methods of pathogen preventing also encouraging less ethical/healthy measure? nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    Korean? Never seen it, only the Doux French whole ones (also sold under the name 'Supreme'), which are great and with discount something like $39 for the small one.

DOUX – Million Group

I stopped buying those US chicken legs from Wellcome, they are disgusting. They may be hormone free but they're definitely fattened up with something, just compare the size to other countries' chickens. Those chickens have seen some hard times, and usually at least one in the pack has a broken leg. The taste is poor as well. I find both Wellcome and PnS have the poorest selection of meats in HK.

S-Pure Thai chicken is what we get most of the time, it's fresh, tastes good and reasonable at $42-50 per pack. The Danish chicken is also good and apparently salmonella free, the AU/NZ free range ones are good as well but too pricey at $70+ for small pack.

As I mentioned in another chicken thread there are newer Thai frozen brands showing up at Yata and Jason's, one is in a pack that looks like the Corn Flakes box, their legs and wings are tasty but found the skinless strips to be a bit freezer burnt. Just picked up a new 1kg bag of legs called 'J-Farm' (same deal as rest of Thai-natural/no hormones) for about $69, but haven't tried them yet.

US Chickens can be plumped which makes the weight higher.

Also US consumers like bigger chickens so the chickens are designed to be bigger - have you heard the breasts are so big that if the chickens were processed as they continued to grow they wouldn't be able to stand up normally?

Asians tend for smaller chickens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plumping
    SonicYouth1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chichow:
    US Chickens can be plumped which makes the weight higher.

Also US consumers like bigger chickens so the chickens are designed to be bigger - have you heard the breasts are so big that if the chickens were processed as they continued to grow they wouldn't be able to stand up normally?

Asians tend for smaller chickens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plumping
    Thanks for this, useful to know. Any thoughts on Thai or Danish chickens? I saw on the packaging they were labelled "hormone free" but anything else I should watch out for?
    My feeling is that Danish would be pretty safe but perhaps Thai food standards would be lower, although at the supermarket they are the same price for same quantity/cut of chicken

Quote Originally Posted by SonicYouth1:
    Thanks for this, useful to know. Any thoughts on Thai or Danish chickens? I saw on the packaging they were labelled "hormone free" but anything else I should watch out for?
    My feeling is that Danish would be pretty safe but perhaps Thai food standards would be lower, although at the supermarket they are the same price for same quantity/cut of chicken
    You're likely right on Thai-Dane regulations and inspections but all I know is the S-pure and generally most brands available at Yata are usually not low end quality.

That chicken has been consistently good in quality/ taste for years. No traces of feathers, no discolored meat (looks like bruised before slaughter),no broken bones, no packaging fails, had one with Kubota pork and it spoiled before the date due to a gap in the seal.

Generally I've found products from Thailand Here to be decent quality. The reality could of course be quite different.

https://thepigsite.com/news/2020/07/...irus-outbreaks

May have answered my own question...

so what are the best tasting chickens?

i have been buying american and brazilian chicken legs from the wet market and they don't taste all that great (i used to buy american chicken legs from meat.com.hk but they are unfortunately no longer in the business). going to be trying french chicken legs from lungwah soon

ParknShop sells American chicken legs. Compared to Brazilian and Chinese sourced legs they are huge and you have to wonder about the use of steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    ParknShop sells American chicken legs. Compared to Brazilian and Chinese sourced legs they are huge and you have to wonder about the use of steroids.
    Yes i mentioned this in Post #1 and other posts in this thread - I'd steer well clear of those

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5