Like Tree25Likes

What chicken to buy in HK - and where?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What chicken to buy in HK - and where?

Hi guys,
    I used to be the guy buying up all the $18 chicken breasts discounted at Wellcome but after doing some research, i figured I should perhaps spend a bit more money and time to make sure I'm buying something that isn't just high in protein but also healthy too. So I've stopped buying the Chinese or Brazil chickens, been shopping around and found US chicken can be very cheap - discounted at $25 for 1kg of chicken leg steaks. Fair amount skin obviously but a lot meat too.

I've also looked at Foodwise with prices ranging from $59-89 for 1kg of various cuts of Thai/Danish chicken with claims of "no hormones added".

So, where do you buy your chicken and any tips? I'm quite suspicious of the US chicken - I've read that it's illegal to add hormones to US chicken but how can they ship to HK, sell it at a profit (with the original RRP of ard $49/1kg) and be so cheap?

We been buying chicken from HKTV mall. Both online and their MTR store. Got some good deal from time to time.

East_coast likes this.

Try Danish whole chickens from Marketplace, Good quality and good value.

tf19 and Rogervich like this.

We always go for the 18 dollar 900g whole chicken (Sadia) out of Kia Bao. In fact I don't think you can beat Kia bao for value in anything. There are 3 packagings. Only choose the "Griller" option in the Green or White covers. Tried the Yellow ( not a griller ) and it was disappointing.
    Wash it, dry it, rub in your seasoning with a little oil then 160c on the middle shelf for an hour. Our oven is a worktop unit not built in.
    Perfect and juicy every time. Sometime they have larger 1.5 - 2 kg birds but they are Hens ( older chickens that have laid all the eggs they can then culled for meat ) and although they can be more flavoursome in some conditions they require attention to detail when cooking as they are considerably tougher due to age. We do them slow cooked with sauces.

Original Post Deleted
    But why would US chicken be so cheap? As it has to be hormone-free under USDA (but I heard doesnt have to be antibiotic-free)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PneditN4eHw

This video has some useful info as well.
    drumbrake likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicYouth1:
    But why would US chicken be so cheap? As it has to be hormone-free under USDA (but I heard doesnt have to be antibiotic-free)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PneditN4eHw

This video has some useful info as well.
    Scary, but I agree useful. Unfortunately I think the 'worst kind of chicken' he starts with is also the most common kind of chicken sold in Hong Kong supermarkets.

We tend to buy the Brazilian breasts/ thighs for $15/lb from Lung Wah.

Kaibo have Brazilian chicken. Saw the 1600g grill chickens for $26 this weekend. They also do whole chicken legs/thighs 3 pieces for $24. I get this occasionally if I'm making a paella/biryani and need bone-in chicken.

Original Post Deleted

1) Does it matter? All chickens this size are manufactured ( if it's made in a factory it's manufactured ) in the same way and we are not talking about hand reared organic stuff here. At this level it's just packaged protein. By all means pay 300hkd for a chicken in Taste or City Super if that's your style.

2) Really? Used then for as long as as I have lived here (16yrs) and never had a problem or heard anything like that. All foodstuff retailers have some sort of issue sometimes. I have said about Wellcome and US eggs here. Should I not shop there either?

about 7 years ago. I remember talking to a fella working for 'chicken' farming industry, don't remember exactly what he does, but I remember he said he travel around and advise on Poultry farming.

One of my friend ask him about what chicken he usually buy in the supermarket, he suggest s-pure chicken.

I saw s-pure chickein at taste supermarket, hktvmall, and some online shop sell them too. According to the description: no growth hormone, organic, halal, etraceable.

He also mentioned brazil's farming condition is not better than china.

Last edited by bobobo; 22-07-2020 at 07:45 PM.
    East_coast likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    US Chicken should follow USDA standards - ie. no hormones added. But going back to my original post, I often see the US chicken leg steaks at this Wellcome - 1-1.15kg discounted. Really meaty and large chicken legs and I can find them most times I shop there - discounted to $20-25. I know HK people are very savvy - if it's any good then you'd generally find someone else has snapped it up way before you but I can mostly find 3-4 packs of this most times that I go. Pure luck? Possible but perhaps I'm not that lucky lol

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast