Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By Bartholomeuw
  • 2 Post By tf19
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 3 Post By Ephemeral

Black Sheep

Black Sheep

Under pressure - interview with Syed Asim Hussain.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcvtRW4DETU

After they ripped off Serendib's success and model (run by the lovely local Sri Lankan- Chinese family) serving Sri Lankan street food, to launch Hotal Colombo, selling the same food at 3x the price a stone's throw away, I have no sympathy.

Serendib had to shut down permanently due to Covid I hope the family is doing okay

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeuw:
    After they ripped off Serendib's success and model (run by the lovely local Sri Lankan- Chinese family) serving Sri Lankan street food, to launch Hotal Colombo, selling the same food at 3x the price a stone's throw away, I have no sympathy.

Serendib had to shut down permanently due to Covid I hope the family is doing okay
    I don't know much about what Blacksheep has been upto, but they certainly don't have much sympathy amongst people in the business or in the know - the guy was at a FCC panel a few weeks ago and I overheard a few snarky remarks about them.

Not sure if it is just haters ... or these guys have some issues with karma.
    cloroxbleach likes this.

As a consumer, I feel they have done a good job in terms of adapting their menu to include dishes that can travel, rather than just try to 'lift and shift' their entire menu. The reduced menu also helps with their supply chain, I'd imagine which is smart.

I stopped ordering from them as much when they started to charge delivery fees and when the portion sizes reduced. I mean, the order of Char Siu from Ho Lee Fook was yummy but it really wasnt $230 worth of food!
    At the end of the day, it's all about supply and demand right in HK? Simple economics. That said, I know a bunch of i-bankers who think $230 is perfectly reasonable for a portion of char siu!

I think that Black Sheep along with the Pirata group are generally forces for good within the HK F&B scene. They've raised the bar when it comes to the customer experience, quality of food, and variety of cuisines albeit on the pricey side.

They're not at a level of experience as say, Union Square Hospitality Group, but certainly better than 95% of the non-local restaurants I've tried in HK so it would be a shame if they closed down.

shri and Flapster like this.

@tf19 - agree with you 100% ...

For us Pirata group places are a family favorite. Do like the Optimist and Pizza Project. Honjo is a bit pricey for lunch + portion sizes are not ... optimal - not complaining too much.. it is "interesting".

Unfortunately this .. and I don't blame them. Their food / customer experience does not travel...

Name:  Screenshot 2020-07-29 at 11.00.35 AM.png
Views: 199
Size:  86.1 KB

been dining a few times in Blacksheep outfits. Food is all right, but nothing to talk home about... But I find the attitude, in general, to be bad and arrogant Kind of "You are lucky we let you dine here. If you are not happy, go somewhere else"

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeuw:

You make it sound like they stole their patented recipes and set up shop right next door. I've eaten at both and they are very different restaurants, catering to different crowds and needs. The only thing they have in common is that they both fit under the broad category of Sri Lankan cuisine.

I have eaten at most Black Sheep places by now and visit a few quite regularly. Yes, they are more expensive than some alternatives but they execute their concepts very well and do so consistently. In general I have found the staff to be good hospitality professionals and a cut above most in HK.

Other positives are that they do look after their staff very well, and they were very quick and decisive in how they adapted their restaurants and processes to cope with COVID-19. They have adhered to the government regulations and indeed gone well beyond the minimum requirements, which made me comfortable dining at their locations over recent months. Contrast this to a restaurant I walked past from another big group last week that was visibly flouting the requirement to operate at 50% capacity.

Black Sheep do get a bad wrap from others in the industry but I think its mostly sour grapes.
    Jools&Georgie, dontpanic and tf19 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemeral:
    You make it sound like they stole their patented recipes and set up shop right next door. I've eaten at both and they are very different restaurants, catering to different crowds and needs. The only thing they have in common is that they both fit under the broad category of Sri Lankan cuisine.

Black Sheep do get a bad wrap from others in the industry but I think its mostly sour grapes.
    I agree on perhaps how they treat their staff etc. But the dishes are literally the same, and it's same Sri Lankan street food concept in a more upmarket fashion. Sri Lankan cuisine is broad! But here we are, selling kottu rotti and a black pork curry again

Also, they do not seem to have any idea that their fun spelling of "curry" is a literal Sri Lankan, Sinhalese swear word.