Like Tree13Likes

SOURDOUGH STARTER - do you have?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Original Post Deleted
    You get a GXP "Like," and my admiration.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Have you found that works for HK?

Seems like the temperatures here are so high (most articles that ever mention temperatures seem to assume <20 degrees) that using 1:1, then 1:2 then 1:3 ratios might be a little risky. Maybe it works- I certainly have not tried it.
    I didn't used that formula when I started, because I found that only much later, but mine was very similar and also ended with a small amount of sourdough. I would say that 90% of the methods you find on the web are not so good (to say it mildly).

I started min in May or June last year, it would probably hot them. First try was with wheat flour (that went really bad, the stench, unbearable). 2nd try was with rye and was a success. Daily feeding for 4 days or so, small quantities, all in the warm kitchen.

I think <20° is very low, sourdough likes it certainly warmer. I think 26-28°C is optimal. It works for me and so far it's stable. I use about 50g per bread, twice, then I feed 50g each rye and water about once every 7-10 days. I have that routine for 1+ years and bake about twice a week.
    jgl and hike like this.

Quote Originally Posted by happy_camper:
    Zerowaste and discard is a bit of an oxymoron. You are spot on with rye though, it's not the nutritions, rye is more stable, Wheat goes bad much easier.

Anyway, I have rye starter (1+ years old) and I am near Saikung. Before you get any starter, buy rye flour first. The starter donation will not last long otherwise.

Or if you want to go DIY, this is THE starter setup for no wastage, it will not get simpler:

https://www.bakewithjack.co.uk/blog-...rdough-starter

https://www.bakewithjack.co.uk/blog-...rdough-starter

BTW, you just need a few g starter, the tip of a teaspoon will do.
    If you would read the website you'd find she has a multitude of recipes for the "discard".

I followed her instructions in HK successfully.

Original Post Deleted
    My jar is always in the fridge. Unless it's feeding time.

When I feed it I take it out, add 50g each rye flour and water, let it raise in the warm kitchen (this can take 2-6 hours) and put it it back in the fridge, lid is tight in the fridge.

The lid is lose on the jar while raising, air can come in. It should not be tight.

Humidity doesn't matter.

A year ago I started my starter with white flour with no problems at all in Malaysia where 25-32C is normal year round temp.

It goes in the fridge for weeks at a time if we are trying low carbing, and is easy to kickstart when needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FVf...cookingireland